VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am a new member and would appreciate any advice on setting up the balance shaft sprocket to the main crankshaft sproket on my 2005 2.0tdi.
I started to have the dreaded chain rattle, and have opted to renew the sprockets, chain and tensioner. What I am unsure of is do I need to 'time' the balance shafts to a particular crankshaft position, and if so how?
Also is it recommended to replace the oil pump drive shaft which I believe can be prone to failure?
Thanks for looking

George

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
At TDC, insert the balance shaft locking tool as shown in this writeup: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/oil-pump-and-balance-shaft-repair-and-delete-b5-passat-and-audi-tdi-engine/

After that, the chain goes on. Then release the tensioner and remove the balance shaft lock and it's set. The tensioner should have a little hole in the cover where you can insert a pin to hold it closed.

I would have replaced it with the updated style since it would have replaced all the weak links. There is a theory that the jerky chain also wears out the oil pump drive shaft a little. It tends to round off. there is some technical background on this issue in this FAQ: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/oil-pump-failure-or-balance-shaft-module-faq-b5-vw-passat-or-audi-tdi-engine/

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
1 Posts
Balance shaft

Trying to fix broken oil pump on Audi a6 2005, just replaced the turbo and can't seem to figure out how to time the balance shaft as I have changed the chain guides and the hex shaft drive

·
Registered
1 Posts
balance shaft and turbo problems

i just fitted a balance shaft and did the timing manually the turbo doesn't work now is it because the timing of r because the turbo is blown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Low Oil Pressure

Hi,

I have been the victim of the balance shaft failing.

Does it need to TDC when taking off? or does it just bolt off?

I have taken the sump off and just thought id ask before rtaking bolts off.

i have Passat B6 BKP engine

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I,m from Spain and own a AUDI A4 B6 (2005) BLB engine chain driving and I'm looking for alternative solutions in order to be success.

Does anyone know how much does an oil pump from the ALH TDI engine and settings cost?

thanks in advance :bowdown

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a BRD engine in the workshop at the moment as normal the oil pump shaft is worn on the edges and knackered the turbo etc - The question is can you replace just the rod (77mm at present) - How much play is there with a new rod (100mm) and new balance shaft etc?

Has anyone replaced just the shaft - how long does it last etc? Cant seem to find anyone who knows this answer???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts