VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Chris, I have a 2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed and have been doing a lot of work on it myself lately. It has 197k miles, and has been a wonderful car, I average around 48mpg in the driving that I do around town. Repairs have been minor and have mostly consisted of glow plug issues, everything else has been basic maintenance. I recently lost one of my keys, and that's how I found this forum, by searching about how to deal with the immobilizer etc. I have VCDS but now understand that I can't add a new key without knowing the special number that only VW has. I'll probably just take it to the dealer and let them program it, but I absolutely hate going there and was hoping to avoid it if at all possible.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.

I suppose you don't have the little tag thing with the skc code. I don't either and only have the one key so I'd better be careful.:)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
In addition, since you have VCDS the major expense is already past. Take a look at the immobilizer FAQ and mk4 key replacment FaQ article for how to get the SKC. The tools are relatively cheap and you can save vs. going to the dealer. If you had no tools I would recommend going to dealer with cut key.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts