VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually joined the group for a mechanic friend in the Northwest of England - no access to a computer, or desire to learn to use one - who is having major problems with his 1999 Volkswagon T-4 Caravelle - 8 seater mini-van. He's convinced that the reason the van will not stay running is the immobilizer. It will run on brake fluid. He is a qualified motor mechanic but is not conversant in the electronics. Any ideas???

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If it starts then cuts out straight away that sounds like the immobiliser but if it runs for a while then cuts out it's not the immobiliser I don't think. More info would be good, does it run for any length of time?:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will not run for any length of time unless it is brake cleaner. He's been a motor mechanic for 40 years, but this has him stumped. He's sure it's not mechanical.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
If it runs on brake cleaner then it isn't the immobiliser, does he run it on regular diesel or is it run on vegtable oil? If he slackens off an injector pipe and cranks the engine is there diesel coming out? The elecctronics aren't over the top on these earlier tdi's, it could be the pump that's not working, there could be a crack in the sender unit in the tank, the glow plugs can fail, has he scanned it for fault codes at all? I know he's adverse to computers but these fault codes can be very useful in diagnosing problems. You can get these maxscan vag405 things off ebay for about £50 that are really good for getting the fault codes and can clear them too.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

It will run on brake fluid.
Why would anyone want to put brake fluid in the fuel system? He doesn't sound like a qualified motor mechanic to me. Diesels will run on paraffin if your pushed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts