VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 1999 Beetle TDI 120k miles for $1000. I haven't seen the car yet but I am told it needs glow plugs and the injection pump is leaking from the top cover. My question is would the top cover seal or the seal of the plate between the pump and cover leaking cause enough air to get into the pump to keep it from starting? I'm sorry in advance if this has been asked before I did a brief search and couldn't find anything specifically saying one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
It would start possibly, however, it would lose prime every time and cause difficult starting. For $1000 you really can't go wrong...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never worked on a diesel that had the fuel quantity plate on it like that. All my IP experience is with Ford and new Holland tractors, so I just wanted to double check. I've seen a lot of issues with it leaking, but nothing really stating that it would cause it not to start. Owner says the leak steadily got worse till one day it wouldn't fire up. Just wanted someone to hold my hand and say thatseal being blown could cause a no start before I take the leap.

·
Super Moderator
8,991 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

If the seller don't know when it last started that isn't good.

Take the top timing belt cover off and crank it make sure it turns to check for a broken timing belt. I don't think you can see the camshaft through the oil filler cap.

A good battery is need as the cranking speed needs to be enough.

Does the fuel pump run while cranking?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry bout the lack of etiquette posting here, ill go back and do that, just kind of on a deadline. Seller says it's only been 2 months since it ran. My intention was to try to get the pump primed through the return and get it fired on some other and as long as it sounded halfway decent bring it home. So I will probably be a regular here soon...

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
For 1000 bucks it needs to be running. If the owner willing to let you tinker and make it run would be best. If not then 700 to 800. If a rust bucket then pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Paint is shot, been sanded to be repainted. He said it will run on ether and sends fuel to the injectors, but the IP top seals are letting too much air in for it to start. 120k miles here's pics. IP top cover seals leaking fuel, said the leak gradually got worse the last few months he drove it till it wouldn't start one day(supposedly he is a tech at a Mack truck dealer), has a glow plug code active, and hasn't had the timing belt changed, though he says it looks good and I can check it.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Ether and tdi don't mix well. Verify timing belt is good. Turn 2 revolutions by hand at crank.
20 year old and 120k it seems the belt would have been changed or broken by now.
Interior says keep.
Body says keep if you know how to paint or have a buddy that does.

Use this link to search how tos or questions

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check you tube for VP37 pump seal' & you'll get a video with full instructions , done on a VW .
If you are familiar with hand tools & methodical, you can do the seals, without major issues.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
A long term leaking fuel pump can degrade any plastic or rubber parts it comes into contact with. You will need to inspect all of these.

Ether is never to be used in a TDI, or any modern diesel car engine that I know of. I would be suspicious of anything this owner has done on this vehicle. The TDI is not a semi.

Personally, I would not buy it unless I could get it to start and run. It sounds like that will require you to replace the seals on the fuel pump, and to reprime the system. Might as well replace the fuel filter at this time. And, it is winter now, so you might need to winterize the fuel if it is cold in your climate.

If the fuel pump seals can be replaced without removing the pump, then this is not a very time consuming job. Otherwise, it is more time and skill.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Had a similar situation and the car I worked on sat for 7 years! I pulled filter tank strainer used an oil extractor to pull the fuel through the pump and still no start. Then the brain factory at work on this site gave me the direction of the 109 relay. A simple indication is if the glow plug coil indicator doesn’t illuminate when cycling the key it’s a bad 109 relay. That was my solution would be nice if it’s yours A $7.00 fix! One other fly in the ointment was the injectors bleed lines, if they are loose or leaking get the stock lines the sillycone ones are rubbish! Just a thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'll want to repair or replace the IP to get it running good. Car that old it could pretty worn, expensive. It is low mileage, you might get away with a seal kit.
If never done the intake may need cleaned. Glow plugs no big deal, paint of course is your call.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts