VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm new to this forum and I am glad it exists. My problem is my 1998 VW Beetle TDI needs a new injector pump and turbo. So I have the belt off, the injector pump out and have found TDC for the crank. My question: Is there a way to set TDC for the camshaft. Do I need a 3418 camshaft tool or would a bottle of Guiness with a shot of Chivas give me a better chance of getting this right. This group seems to know my frustration and even better know the answers.

Any help you can render will be welcome and followed!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
To do the timing belt you should be using one of the 2 styles of camshaft tool. The injection pump pin can be substituted with a drill bit, size mentioned in the FAQ article, but it's pretty much impossible to get the camshaft to TDC without using a cam tool or substitute method of having the cam flat. Cam timing is pretty important and it's not possible to get it and injection pump timing on and belt tension even across the belt without doing it the factory recommended method. I'm not trying to sell a rental here but I do rent the special timing belt tool kits and it's available as of this writing, see the FAQ for details.

Also, this is kind of technical so post moved to mk4 section.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Well if you're really stuck and can't get the tool I suppose you could take off the valve cover and make sure the lobes on the cam for cylinder one are pointing up the way and the slot should be level with the top of the head at the other end, I think you'll struggle getting the timing spot on very easily though so maybe the guiness and shot would be a good idea:D

welcometomyturbodies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts