VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1998 Jetta TDI chirps on right hand turning

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  grizzly 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My 1998 Jetta TDI chirps when I turn the wheel to the right. It used to be only at off-ramp speed (say 30 mph) on the highway. I noticed it has started doing it even at low speed in the parking lot at work. This is happening typically once the vehicle has been running a while and then only when turning to the right and only when I'm turning the wheel. If I start to turn the wheel back to center, it stops.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

#2 ·
What kind of chirp? A single chirp or chirp-chirp-chirp like a belt?

Is it this problem? Is it related to electrical load?
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/passatchrip.htm
This issue normally is cold starts and removing all electrical load normally makes it less likely so I'm not sure this is the issue.

Is it a clicking noise? Clicking from the front wheels while turning, especially in the parking lot is the CV joints but this occurs at both cold and warm conditions.

It could also be the strut bearing. This is the bearing between the strut and the car. There are a few bushings there and you have to remove the strut from the car to replace the bearing. There's a writeup for that in the FAQ section. This is less of a chirp and more of a groan.

#4 ·
Power steering pump or belt or something on it? Maybe when you turn the wheel far enough the pump slips a little? Usually a chirping noise on these cars is either the alternator pulley, the serpentine belt/belt tensioner, or the crank pulley. Check the belt tension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.