VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the clutch cable on a 1998 Jetta (diesel).
I have it detached at the tranny end, I can't figure out how to get it out of the clutch pedal. It comes through the firewall and in the interior of the car appears to pass through or attach onto a heavy spring located before the clutch pedal. On the other side of the spring there is black plastic , no cable from what I can see. Please help, my car has been on jacks for 1 month now!!!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, a 98 Jetta TDI doesn't have a clutch cable, it's hydraulic - don't bend the metal line.

If you're sure you have a clutch cable it's possible somebody changed the transmission or that you have the 75 hp non TDI diesel (AAZ engine). I think they used a clutch cable, not sold in the US. I don't see your location so if you're in Canada and have the older 75 hp diesel (non TDI) then you may use a clutch cable.

Remove the black plastic to remove the cable. I believe there's just a metal "T" that holds the end of the cable to the pedal. Pull the "T" out and down to remove the cable end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
turbo diesel not tdi

I have a turbo diesel (in Canada they sold them). I asked VW dealer about the cable and they said it is supposed to be way above the spring thing that they call an over centering spring to help your pedal go all the way up and all the way down. I will look into it a bit more but I think I've solve my problem without changing the cable. You see my pedal stuck to the floor, I could lift it up with my hand but it didn't have any effect. I assumed it was release bearing, (notta) then I pulled off the tranny. I expected to see something wrong but didn't. I pulled everything off for inspection then while I was there I replaced the real oil seal on the engine then the oil pan gasket (with baffle), what a bugger that was, I had to drop the oil pump to get it off. Anyways, I say some off centre ware from the push rod on the release plate and the push rod seemed flattened on the end, and there seemed to be a bit of play around the push rod in the bell of the tranny. I put the pressure plate back on, new release plate, old retaining spring, new mini seal and bushing being it from around the pushrod. I put it all back together and nothing :dunno. After trying to figure out what was the problem I then dicided to look at the clutch cable, thus my post. BUT I was moving the shift leaver on the side of the tranny when something strange happened. I pulled it to the top of it's throw and it was hardly touching the release bearing (so no pressure to the rod, or pressure plate) I pulled a little harder to see if I could apply "some" pressure to the plate and then ....the leaver slipped. The clutch finger that pushes on the release bearing was broken :nana2: , so I've bought a new one and it goes in today, Thanks for all your reply's and I'll let you know how everything works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done!

It's all back together and seemingly running fine. I found a post from VWvortex on replacing the clutch cable. It was helpful.
Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts