VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to the forum but I've been reading a ton!

I've had my eyes on TDIs for some time now, and recently a 97 Passat TDI came on the market that I'm interested in. But the kicker for me is that I've a little one on the way and thus want as safe a car as possible. I'm also a student, so I have to be looking at the MkIII generation because of price considerations.

I live in a place where snow, ice and rain are very real and frequent factors to consider. I have a truck now without ABS and have been fine so far (I know to keep plenty of space...). I've also had cars that had ABS and know experientially that it is a saver when traction is compromised (but not zero.)

So, I found the article: "4 lug to 5 lug hub conversion on the mk3 TDI" and see that an ABS swap is possible, but probably difficult.

Has anybody actually done this, and/or does anyone know of a writeup (pictures helpful) of it? I'm mechanically inclined, but the most complicated automotive work I've done so far is to replace a waterpump on a Jeep. How much could I expect (ballpark, upper limit--all new/refurb. parts) to spend on it?

My hope is that this Passat is actually one of the few that had ABS installed when it was new, but I can't count on that.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
welcometomyturbodies

That sounds like a complicated job, possible but wouldn't you need the hubs, maybe drive shafts etc to mount the sensors and reluctor rings and that's before you even think about the abs unit which will probably need hooked up to the ecu somehow. Personally I would just drive it without the abs, it can be handy but pretty useless in the snow and ice imo.:)

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Where is BOCO anyways?

If safety is a concern, get a mk4. I don't know if the 97 is a mk3 or mk4 where you live.

In the US, the b4 1997 Passat is based off an improved b3 platform. The mk4 cars are just safer and in North America, all came with ABS. There isn't much of a price difference between the 97 and 2000 model year cars as well since they've pretty much fully depreciated. In addition, you'll spend more time/money retrofitting something that complicated vs. just buying a car that already had it.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Your best bet would be to find a junk car and swap the complete ABS system over. I have seen it done before the other direction. I myself don't like ABS and choose to not have it. Actually one stipulation I had when buying a car.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Hi,
the 1997 Passat should have ABS, as already my 1994 Audi has it. You can easily check that. Look under the hood, and check whether there is an ABS hydraulic unit.
Cheers
Audi1Z

1 - 5 of 5 Posts