VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new, this is my first post. I joined because I am going to buy a Passat Wagon TDI and run B100 but I'm trying to decide if I should get a 1996-7 or a 2004-5. From my research it seems that the 1996-7 models are considered to be more reliable, require less maintenance and a little bit larger but at the same time the 2004-5 models are 8 years younger and a bit more refined.

What are the general opinions of the veteran guru's of these cars? Which would you prefer?

Thanks!

Tim

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I would go with a 1996-1997 and spend some money refreshing the suspension and doing all maintenance. It'll feel like a new car. The 2004-2005 VW Passat TDI is definitely a much more refined, updated, and more crash-safe car but there are camshaft and balance shaft problems (potential $4000 to bring car up to maintenance), and it's automatic transmission only. If safety is a dealbreaker the 04-05 is the one to get. Since it's an almost 10 year newer car, you can get them with front/side/curtain airbags and stability control. Most 96-97 VW Passat TDI don't even have ABS and only front airbags.

The suspension is pretty simple on the 96-97 and standard to replace. The 04-05 will definitely ride smoother and quieter but the suspension is complex and much more expensive to replace because the front suspension is from Audi and the bushings are built into the control arms and replacement means replacing the actual control arm suspension.

The 96-97 seats are way better. The bottoms adjust for tilt and height separately. However, I added power seats to the 2005 Passat so that's the same there.

Also, post moved to general forum
welcometomyturbodies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts