VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a high mpg mk5 using 17 inch alloys ie stock jetta wheels. Does it matter that much for mileage? I know 16's give a better ride but you give up a little handling. Is their such a thing as a 17 michellin fuel saver?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I wouldn't have thought it'd make any difference because one just has a bigger side wall and makes driving more comfortable but as for 17in michellin fuel savers, I would think google should give the answer.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
In theory, the larger wheel will give lower mpg. Seatman, the thinner sidewalls are usually built thicker because they have to absorb a little more stress than thicker sidewalls which can flex a little more.

The larger wheel and more mass at the rim = greater moment of inertia. This is basically a longer lever arm that the wheel has to move. The tire choices are also usually wider which also drags down mpg.

In reality, there is not much of a difference but you should expect slightly lower mpg with 17s

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you sir I knew the answer was here just couldn't remember why. Love this site

·
Registered
114 Posts
Don't forget that stock VW wheels are pretty heavy. Very lightweight wheels will improve handling and mpg but you'll never get the additional cost back in fuel. They will look good though :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
the question should be "do heavier wheels affect mileage?".

Generally, if a larger wheel is lighter than a smaller wheel then you will save on fuel use. Whether that fuel use is apparent in real life is another question...

The fuel consumption will also depend on the driving. A heavier wheel will cause more a higher fuel consumption during acceleration, but you may see little or no increase in fuel consumption while maintaining speed, since it takes very little work to keep a wheel spinning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone built a high mpg mk5 using 17 inch alloys ie stock jetta wheels. Does it matter that much for mileage? I know 16's give a better ride but you give up a little handling. Is their such a thing as a 17 michellin fuel saver?
The only difference will be in the weight of the tire/wheel package. If the 17-inch tire and wheel combination is lighter, it may help as that would be less unsprung weight. But, depending on the type of driving, it may end up being negligible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts