VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

After 6 months wait for my allocation I finally got my Golf TDI. Yay
One annoying aspect is that I would like the power outlet in the main console to be on at all times, even with ignition off. I use it to power my phone and Garmin GPS and prefer constant power.
Any ideas as to how easy or difficult that may be and how to do if possible.
If not, where can I get constant power in that same area If I were to remove the radio and gain access to the wiring?

Thanks, I appreciate your help and this forum....

·
Registered
41 Posts
The main power is on at all times and you prefer constant power but you find it annoying? So which is it:dunno Radios almost always have a 12V and a ground that you can tap. Red is normally power and brown is normally ground but they might do something funny with the key on vs. off and maybe something with the dimmer so experiment with the key before you splice into it.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On some of my other cars (past and present) the power at the cigarette lighter outlet has always stayed on with the ignition off. On the VW when I shut the ignition off ( as I stop and go often), I have to restore the navigation each time, or switch it on with the battery. Same with the iphone as I may sit with ignition off but need to keep the charge on the phone while using it, as it drains the battery fairly quick. I am hoping it may be a simple fix via software at the dealer or a possible fix at the fuse box.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It wouldn't be something with software. It's tricky because it's in the center console and getting power from the overhead lighting requires a long wire.

The radio, overhead lighting, or fusebox are places to get power. The radio and overhead lighting may be linked to a timer that shuts off power a certain amount of time after you remove the ignition key. I would get it from the radio. They sell crimp connectors where you don't even have to solder. Just put both wires in the crimp and press. It cuts the wire at the same time but it's for non weatherproof connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an opposite problem with you. I installed an after market real view camera and didn't want a cable to tangle in the middle of the dash so I hard wire it. Now the monitor doesn't turn off with the ignition key. But I've found out that it doesn't drain battery much so I left it like that.

Anyway, what I tried to say is it might be easier for you to tab one circuit out from the fuse box and attach to another female lighter outlet. Since you will tap it from the fuse box like my monitor, it'll be constantly on. Total cost will probably be around $15 (you don't really need a trim removal tool for just that fuse box).

See instruction in the link here.

Som

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. I will just set up a power feed off the radio and hard wire the Nav and cell phone chargers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts