VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 JSW TDI Highline came with no 115 volt outlet in the rear. I have kids who have electronics and of course - they need power :) I'd rather have the outlet than a seperate inverter and another 10 feet of wiring and tangles.

Will an '09 work and if so - where do I get one and how easy is it to retrofit? I have a small storage binnacle there now - which is otherwise useless.

Thanks in advance folks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Really? I know they used to have outlets in the rear. I'd imagine that unless the wiring is there you'd have to run a wire from the fusebox or relaybox, something that is stable enough to not blow a fuse.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really? I know they used to have outlets in the rear. I'd imagine that unless the wiring is there you'd have to run a wire from the fusebox or relaybox, something that is stable enough to not blow a fuse.
I've yet to start to disassemble anything to check but I do hope the harness is there to support the assembly/module/whatever you call it. I'd imagine it is under armrest/center console unit somewhere........please.:umm Ya; I'd rather not have to run 4 gauge wires directly from the battery/fusebox and then back....ick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've yet to start to disassemble anything to check but I do hope the harness is there to support the assembly/module/whatever you call it. I'd imagine it is under armrest/center console unit somewhere........please.:umm Ya; I'd rather not have to run 4 gauge wires directly from the battery/fusebox and then back....ick.
4 gauge? what is your children playing with? a toaster?

I am sure if need be you'd be able to draw off the 12V outlet wiring which is rated at 20A or at least thats the fuse for both 12V outlets.. The standard outlet I think is only 150W so if you do plan on keeping things OEM it wouldn't require that big of wire.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4 gauge? what is your children playing with? a toaster?

I am sure if need be you'd be able to draw off the 12V outlet wiring which is rated at 20A or at least thats the fuse for both 12V outlets.. The standard outlet I think is only 150W so if you do plan on keeping things OEM it wouldn't require that big of wire.
They have an electric heated blanket they love and it draws a fair bit in addition to their movie players and god knows what else. Just wanted to be on the safe side and have more than less.

I'll take the factory one though...... if someone can just tell me where to get one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's there:)

I just picked up 2010 JSW last Saturday (in NJ), and it came with 115V outlet. The original window sticker has it listed as well. I was really happy to see it there, as I was unsure (mainly based on complains here and elsewhere) before the car showed up at the dealer.

The only other thing I am going to miss are fog lights:(

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I just picked up 2010 JSW last Saturday (in NJ), and it came with 115V outlet. The original window sticker has it listed as well. I was really happy to see it there, as I was unsure (mainly based on complains here and elsewhere) before the car showed up at the dealer.

That answers it, US wagons have 115V outlets, Canadian wagons do not since SpeedyJ is in Canada. I will update the buying FAQ.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

While I wouldn't trade you fog lights for the 115v outlet, congrats!! Now - would you mind grabbing me the part number for it (is it on your build sheet?) so when I am in FLA in January I can order one from a dealer when I am down there with mine? I am going to try and order the HID's as well while I am down there too.

Cheers!:D

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
While I wouldn't trade you fog lights for the 115v outlet, congrats!! Now - would you mind grabbing me the part number for it (is it on your build sheet?) so when I am in FLA in January I can order one from a dealer when I am down there with mine? I am going to try and order the HID's as well while I am down there too.

Cheers!:D
Here is the part number for the lighter housing:
1k0 919 341 g 9b9

Here is the part number for the actual lighter/power outlet
1k0 919 309

I don't know if you can tap directly into the wiring and where, or what kind of fuse you can use but this can get you started. I don't see why you couldn't buy a power outlet and housing from a junkyard though.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks CCBB - just what I was looking for:D I'll spend the $ at the dealer to get a new one - I don't have the time to spend in wrecking yards. And I'd rather have something new anyway.

And now for the rain sensing wiper module, the cooler-in-the-center-console part number and the holy grail - all the parts needed for the bi-xenon conversion. I'll do it - over time, The backup camera I can live without, the headlight washers would be nice but I think a new bumper is involved and it's just not worth it.

Anything else I'm missing? Let the hacking begin:p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts