VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for an automotive manufacturer, who requires that a fuel sample be taken and analyzed on each diesel vehicle with fuel related problems.

I compiled the results of 102 fuel tests taken over the last year, and averaged the results. These samples were taken from all over the U.S., and should be a decent representation of the 'average' quality of diesel here.

Cloud Point / Pour Point
Cloud Point (ASTM D2500) - 13 °F
Distillation (ASTM D86)
Initial Boiling Point - 349 °F
10% Recovered - 401 °F
50% Recovered - 501 °F
90% Recovered - 610 °F
End Point - 656 °F
% Recovered - 97.57 %
Physical Tests
Viscosity @ 40°C (ASTM D445) - 2.4 cSt
Physical / Chemical
API Gravity @ 60F (ASTM D287) - 35.8 °API
Calculated Cetane Index (ASTM D4737) - 45.7 CCI
Water by Karl Fischer (ASTM E203/D6304) - 85 ppm
Sulfur (ASTM D4294/D5453/D7039) - 12 ppm

·
Registered
67 Posts
2nd, how is 12 ppm sulfur compare to USLD standards? Is 85 ppm a lot for pump fuel? Is there anything in there to measure lubricity?

·
Registered
32 Posts
ULSD requirements are less than 15 PPM. Interesting though there is no data on wear scar testing. That is an indication of lubricity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big ones we look at are Cloud Point (anything above the current ambient temp/gelled fuel), Initial Boiling Point, Water, and Sulfur.

Anything above 200ppm for water is bad, and there is usually damage/rust above that level

http://www.astm.org/standards has info as to what each test means

·
Registered
298 Posts
I work for an automotive manufacturer, who requires that a fuel sample be taken and analyzed on each diesel vehicle with fuel related problems.

I compiled the results of 102 fuel tests taken over the last year, and averaged the results. These samples were taken from all over the U.S., and should be a decent representation of the 'average' quality of diesel here.

Cloud Point / Pour Point
Cloud Point (ASTM D2500) - 13 °F
Distillation (ASTM D86)
Initial Boiling Point - 349 °F
10% Recovered - 401 °F
50% Recovered - 501 °F
90% Recovered - 610 °F
End Point - 656 °F
% Recovered - 97.57 %
Physical Tests
Viscosity @ 40°C (ASTM D445) - 2.4 cSt
Physical / Chemical
API Gravity @ 60F (ASTM D287) - 35.8 °API
Calculated Cetane Index (ASTM D4737) - 45.7 CCI
Water by Karl Fischer (ASTM E203/D6304) - 85 ppm
Sulfur (ASTM D4294/D5453/D7039) - 12 ppm
Would this "automotive manufacturer, who requires that a fuel sample be taken and analyzed on each diesel vehicle with fuel related problems" be a people's car:eek:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I'd like to see Bosch USA or Bosch North America's findings on diesel fuel samples here in the non biodiesel mandated states here in the USA. Sample of, oh, say 1,000, for a good size sample in various markets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We don't request the wear scar details from the lab because lubricity is not something the 'average' person has control over. Lubricity is not advertised when you go to the fuel station, nor is it something the customer could be at fault for if the value is too low. High water content or gasoline will cause low lubricity, but those are easily discovered in other tests.

However, for failure analysis it is a very good tool.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts