VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was told by the VW dealership that I brought it too after buying, that it’s the clutch and doesn’t do any harm. Replacing it, it will just start to tick again and it’s pricey. It had a recall before and my car had it replaced. I’ll upload pics of the recall stickers when I get back outside

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told by the VW dealership that I brought it too after buying, that it’s the clutch and doesn’t do any harm. Replacing it, it will just start to tick again and it’s pricey. It had a recall before and my car had it replaced. I’ll upload pics of the recall stickers when I get back outside
Now that i think of it, i think i can hear it from under the transmission..

·
Super Moderator
2001 and 2002 Jettas, 02J 5-speeds
105 Posts
If it's a manual transmission it could be your DMF going out. I'm my experience the noise will be a lot louder than the clips you posted. Here's a video that might help determine if it's the DMF (with the sound of a failing DMF):

·
Super Moderator
2001 and 2002 Jettas, 02J 5-speeds
105 Posts
Can you send a sound clip of your engine sounds? That last clip also sounds pretty normal for a VW TDI (to me). My ALH injection pump has 334k mi on it and it "pings" while idling. That last clip sounds like mine pings.

If were me, I'd drive and enjoy it (yours isn't mine so caveat emptor). If your sound gets noticibly louder or you get a CEL, then diagnose (with VCDS). Your options are to take it a mechanic (that know ALHs) or the dealer (<-- don't ever do that).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you send a sound clip of your engine sounds? That last clip also sounds pretty normal for a VW TDI (to me). My ALH injection pump has 334k mi on it and it "pings" while idling. That last clip sounds like mine pings.

If were me, I'd drive and enjoy it (yours isn't mine so caveat emptor). If your sound gets noticibly louder or you get a CEL, then diagnose (with VCDS). Your options are to take it a mechanic (that know ALHs) or the dealer (<-- don't ever do that).
It sounds exactly the same like in those videos, i read that some people have replaced the fuel pump and the sound was gone or the injector with connector on it., my engine is AFN btw and yeah no codes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CLIP 5
when i put ear to hollow handle screwdriver on injector 3 i hear same ticking but loud from it, other injectors are not making same noise, i guess it's something clacking inside the needle control injector?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe the sound is actually normal for this engine, cause every video of AFN i've seen has this ticking.
I had my car since 2018 at 48k my mom had it before it’s always sounded like that to me, she has 277k now I had asked multiple mechanics all said it’s normal for these to sound like a bulldozer only time I had CEL is when the VW dealer fucked up my def and motor and had to replace motor turbo def intercooler (paid by vw) she got a new motor at 218k 2021 august and still sounded beautiful like that don’t let people tell you about your car they always tell me my car sounds like a bomb or a coffeemaker and I tell them that’a her she’s diesel and they shut up…. 😊 I might be wrong cuz I’m a girl but I pay super attention to my bulldozer coffeemaker I don’t know much about cars except all the stuff I’ve had done to mine. 😄

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it sounds better after putting timing in the middle, was too retarded after belt change, the 15mm fuel pump pin probs too small, the metallic ticking is quieter now, sounds smooth although there's more lifter clatter after switching to 5w30 from 5w40. dunno bout oil pressure cause no sensor on my engine. anyways i think that metal ticking is most likely injectors/fuel related.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so today the metallic ticking is gone, maybe lifters bled out of air or something
when there was ticking with old cam,lifters the injection timing was slighltly below middle of TDI TIMING(engine->group 000 basic settings) graph, now after timing belt change timing was very late and that specific ticking was much louder and now after setting the timing ( injection pump moved like 2-3mm to engine side) back to middle/ slightly above, n108 duty cycle 54%, i can't hear that ticking at all So not sure what fixed it maybe 5w30, lifters and cam. But like it was ticking much louder after belts and tensioners, etc. change( late timing) and after setting the timing to right spot initially it was still ticking(quieter) but now after some driving it's gone for some reason.. still not sure if n108 valve duty cycle should be 2.8% or 50%, because 0%= fully retarded, 100%= fully advanced, dunno why people saying it should be 2.8%, 6%, 10%. , the middle of the graph gets me ~54%.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts