VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Want to start by saying this site is great I have learned so much from just reading different stories. I will start off by saying I am a redneck from the sticks of VT and proud of it. We live on a dariy farm and recently had the opppertunity to buy a 01 jetta tdi with a broken timing belt with 160k miles. It was no surprise to find a few of the valves drove up thru the lifters. After pulling the head, checking for any other damage, replacing head pullys, water pump..etc got it going and put 3000miles on it and it pures like a kitten. The Good story stops there...

The Problem.

While driving at lower speeds less than say 50MPH with the engine at about 1800RPM, the engine will start to surge back and forth without the accelerater even being pushed, say about +/-200RPM. At first I thought it maybe just me but after a week of really watching, it around 30-40MPH it really is noticable and its not just the tack moving, you can really feel the power in the car changing so it is in fact the engine surging, the car has an automatic xmission. When you get up around 65MPH with the engine RPM above 2200RPM no problem. I will be the first to admitt I know very little to these "fly by wire" systems, turning the wrench pulling the head easy..this stuff I am lost. I have just started to read into it and from what I understand the ECM computer takes the input from the accelertor, xmssion and various other sensors thru out the engine compartment and then controls the fuel pump. I realize the easiest way would be hook it up to the computer, which I do not have and so far I have been able to stay out of a garage. Any advice?

·
Registered
298 Posts
For strange problems like this, get the ross tech VCDS. You'll save money in the long run vs. chasing this problem. Is it an auto or manual?

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
the car has an automatic xmission.

I realize the easiest way would be hook it up to the computer, which I do not have
Is it an auto or manual?
I would say that ross tech VCDS will save you money in the long term. You will need a laptop. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts