VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am a hgv fitter so working on lighter stuff is slightly different & i would like to know about setting up a true camshaft position after fitting a belt also the correct way to set up the injectors because if you retard or advance your cam by adjusting the sprocket bolts then you must upset the injectors/pressures/timing, assuming you retard the cam (crank locked) then the commencment of injection will be after tdc & if you advance the cam then it will be before tdc, if you set up your cam correctly after fitting the belt then it would be a case of resetting the injectors or am i talking crap

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
AUY engine is Pumpe Duse so with this car, there are no dial gauges or anything that you can use because the injection timing is electronically controlled by solenoid and by the camshaft. You need to use a ross tech VCDS to see the camshaft timing and then adjust the sprocket. The cheapest way is to buy a generic cable from ebay with ross tech's limited freeware software. It should see this basic setting.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/...a-2004-2005-new-beetle-golf-2004-2006-a-2977/ Read this timing belt installation and this article on adjusting camshaft timing: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/PD-adjust-Idle-TDI.htm and it should explain a lot.

welcometomyturbodies

also, since there are some technical questions, post moved to mk4 section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for your reply but , i know injection is electronic but if you fit a belt using the proper tools, start the engine & it sounds a little out of tune then you will recheck cam/crank & if they are ok then you decide to adjust the cam slightly via the 3 x 8 mm bolts @ the sprocket, once you have moved that cam either way then you have upset the valve timing, if the cam & sprocket were1 piece then valve timing couldnt alter .

·
Registered
482 Posts
In Chitty's second link you do check camshaft timing. It's called the torsion value. You should not have to touch the injectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts