VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating an upcoming timing belt change on my 2005 Passat but would like to pose a question here to masses.

My engine is a 1.9 PD TDI AVF. Now having had previous VW diesels and knowing how they tend to develop new engines by improving upon a proven design I would like to know how similar is the write up for the BHW engine versus the AVF? I know the major differences between the two are displacement fuel delivery but from what I have seen as far as the timing belt systems, they appear the same.

I have no doubt about my ability to do the timing belt and associated parts changing, I would just like to know if there is some major difference I need to be aware of before taking on this task. While I am at it, I plan on changing the snub mount, water pump, tensioners, belts, and possibly coolant. I will also polish the headlights with the help of my 3M headlight restoration kit.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I checked the parts catalog and the timing belt and water pump parts for the AVF are the exact same as BHW engine that we had in North America. Therefore, you can use the same writeup and parts listed. Please post a follow up if you notice any differences, many thanks!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to let you know if there are any variations.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually about to order the timing belt kit from dieselgeek for half of what I would pay in Hungary. Now I have to find a place to purchase the A/C and Alternator belt tensioners. idparts has both but I'm not sure of the brand for the A/C tensioner. I'll contact them to find out who it is made by. The alternator tensioner is less than half price. Depending on what brand the A/C tensioner is, it could also be just as cheap.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing I would like to do is replace the vacuum lines. Are there multiple sizes of vacuum lines or just the 3.5 mm ID? And how much hose is needed approximately? Thanks for the information?

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally bought everything I need to do a complete timing belt change, timing belt, water pump, all belts, tensioners, cam seal and antifreeze for the equivalent of $216.

At the same time I'll be doing the repairs I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'll be sure to update after I start sometime next week.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Another thing I would like to do is replace the vacuum lines. Are there multiple sizes of vacuum lines or just the 3.5 mm ID? And how much hose is needed approximately? Thanks for the information?
Hi man, I just bought 5 metres of the silicone 3mm stuff of ebay, it stretches over the 5mm fittings too and is a nice tight fit. Highly recommend that one. You have a couple of little skinny plastic lines that run around the back of the engine or bulk head end, check they haven't been rubbing on anything, one of my friends ones had worn through but I just cut the worn part off and used the silicone hose there too.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Today I finished the timing belt job I started yesterday. After bolting the lock carrier back into place and filling the cooling system with as much coolant as possible I couldn't resist the urge to start the engine. Runs like a top.

I was also able to change all the vacuum hoses and inspect the hard lines for wear marks. I changed the snub mount and pressure washed the intercooler.

Tomorrow I'll inspect the power steering cooler/hose connection to make sure it isn't leaking from being moved around. I think one of the single use clamps will have to be changed as it appears to be leaking after having been wiggled. If so I'll go ahead and change the power steering fluid at the same time.

I used a Continental brand timing belt kit which included a Continental brand timing belt, Ina idler, and a tensioner of a brand I don't remember and nuts for the idler and tensioner. All the parts in the kit are the same brand as the factory VW parts which were replaced. I bought the Graf water pump separate but the only difference between it and the factory pump was the pulley was solid versus having holes.

And the nut referenced in the Serpentine/AC belt write up is a 17 mm nut which is used to apply tension to the AC belt.

I would like to thank CCBB for all the information provided here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts