VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here! Desperately looking for advice. Have an 09 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with about 125K on it. Unsure if this is related, just prefacing that about 6 months ago a dealer replaced my glow plug module and the NOx Cat. Also, last week during about a 30 min drive on the freeway the "Engine Fault Workshop" light came on but only for a second and I haven't seen it since.

ISSUE: This morning (roughly 40°F) I went to start my car (yes I waited for glow plug light to turn off) and initially it cranked and started then after about a second it died. I gave it a second try and same result. Finally I gave it a third try and it started lugging like the battery was being drained so I gave up.

Ill be checking battery and terminals when I get home, but I had followed a few other threads that mentioned potentially an intercooler issue or a an immobilizer issue? Just trying to see if one situation is more plausible than the other.

I will note that last week we had a severe freezing rain/ice storm, and I drove it about 30 miles in around 18°F temps, parked it outside our house. This morning was my first attempt at driving it since then.

Any help is appreciated. I don't have a VCDS, and I'm new to VW. Just trying to (if possible) avoid having to take it back to the dealer after the 4,000$ I forked over to them 6 months ago.

· Premium Member
253 Posts
Potentially, your diesel fuel has gelled up in the cold and hasn’t thawed out long enough? Another cause could be the in tank electric fuel pump fuse or the pump itself failed. Or the tandem fuel pump failed… lots of things could be the issue.

These computer cars of now require electronic interface diagnostics. Take the car to a brick and mortar parts store and get a free check engine diagnostic test to give you any stored codes.
If you’re going to DIY, get a OBD-II code reader that includes European brands ASAP.
If you plan on staying with the VAG (Volkswagen, Audi Group which includes other sub brands!) line of vehicles, I recommend you get VCDS. It doesn’t work well with other brands (read as Big 3 or Asian)… but it is by far the best interface service tool I have ever used (compared to the USA big three) and at a reasonable price.
How is it the best? Dollar for dollar you have a ton of diagnostic features. For example, it gives you part numbers of connected components that failed. Not a water pump. But those that are connected to CAN-BUS system (the electrics). Like the Body control module, window switch, door lock controller etc.

· Registered
6 Posts
New here! Desperately looking for advice. Have an 09 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with about 125K on it. Unsure if this is related, just prefacing that about 6 months ago a dealer replaced my glow plug module and the NOx Cat. Also, last week during about a 30 min drive on the freeway the "Engine Fault Workshop" light came on but only for a second and I haven't seen it since.

ISSUE: This morning (roughly 40°F) I went to start my car (yes I waited for glow plug light to turn off) and initially it cranked and started then after about a second it died. I gave it a second try and same result. Finally I gave it a third try and it started lugging like the battery was being drained so I gave up.

Ill be checking battery and terminals when I get home, but I had followed a few other threads that mentioned potentially an intercooler issue or a an immobilizer issue? Just trying to see if one situation is more plausible than the other.

I will note that last week we had a severe freezing rain/ice storm, and I drove it about 30 miles in around 18°F temps, parked it outside our house. This morning was my first attempt at driving it since then.

Any help is appreciated. I don't have a VCDS, and I'm new to VW. Just trying to (if possible) avoid having to take it back to the dealer after the 4,000$ I forked over to them 6 months ago.
it get something similar on my 2009 tdi, it was the fuel reassure pump, :cautious:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts