VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I did the timing belt on my 06 using the procedure from here and checklists from TDI club. I bought the kit from dieselgeek and used metalnerd crank/cam lock tools.

I did the timing belt for my last vehicle (Trooper) so I was fairly confident I could get it done.

I got it all buttoned up, checked that I could rotate the engine 2x by hand without any mechanical interference, and fired it up.

Yikes! The engine sounded pretty bad with a good amount of knocking.

The crank was locked the entire time. I did have to take the cam pulley off to get the TB on, but the cam lock pin slipped right back in no problem. Right now the cam lock bolts are about in the middle of the range.

I was planning to go take the valve cover off and check that with the crank locked at TDC the lobes are correctly positioned. What else can I check?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So from what I can tell, if the cam lock pin can be inserted, when the crank is locked with metalnerds jig, the cam is correctly positioned.

Is the knocking just from needing to set the timing?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
With your car being a PD engine you don't need to set the timing, as long as the crank and cam are in the right place it should run fine. If you're confident they are in the right place then check you haven't left something off by mistake, make sure all hoses, pipes and connectors are all connected properly.:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
When the cam lock pin is inserted the #1 lobes (closes to the camshaft sprocket?) are up, with the lobe closest to the sprocket at about 1 o'oclock and the next lobe at about 9 o'clock.

Is it possible for the cam to become mistimed from the sprocket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I'll go check it over once again and go from there. Seems like it really can't be timed wrong if the crank and cam can both be locked as noted in the writeup. But it won't be until the weekend before I can get back to it since I feel like crap today. I did this last weekend and wanted to get a post up about it!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a stretch but did you happen to open up your fuel system at all (take lines off etc.)? If some of that stuff is in the way and you pulled it off that air in the system can atke a minute or two to purge out and make it fuel knock, smoke and sound like crap for a bit until it is purged.
It could be if you shut it off quick it didn't have time to clear. Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been wanting to do the timing job myself as well. This is exactly what I am afraid off though. One wrong step and the car is missed timed, and to be honest I cant afford that since this is my daily driver :D

I am not to familiar with diesel engines, but I know if you forgot the connect a vacuum line the engine will suck in air causing it to do this. However if that where the case your car should throw a code. Cam and crank sensors will also cause it to run a bit rough since they are crucial timing components. If these are not connected or are bad, the ecm will have a hard time locating the position of each one thus causing the engine to not run properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts