VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum. I have been quite active on tdiclub.com and vwvortex(to a lesser extent),

Long story short... I have been trying to diagnose a scraping/metallic exhaust sounding noise for over 3 months on my car.

The noise starts just as boost is kicking in and lasts until about 2600 rpm. My engine also feels like it's surging or being overpowered.

There are no boost leaks, vaccuum leaks at all.

My car has been looked at by myself, a private mechanic and now by the dealership.

Car specs:
- 06 Jetta TDI 5MT
- GIAC Tune/Chip
- No other engine mods

I have done a plethora of boost tests, vacuum tests, etc... Today, I got a diagnosis back from VW stating that I was overboosting. They suggested I have my chip removed and bring it back in.

Can someone look over this work order... it seems like they are saying that the measuring block is reporting a charge pressure of 2575 mbar. That is over 37 PSI!!! Is this the actual boost pressure?

What could be causing this huge boost spike?

Here is a pic of the work order and a link to one of my many threads on TDIclub.com:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=295105

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Since you replaced the egr it's not that. Are you sure it's not something in the drivetrain? Have you checked the camshaft?

That sounds high if it's the actual boost pressure. Possible causes: boost sensor, n75 solenoid, ecu programming.

Is it possible that the exhaust is vibrating? Read your other thread, I don't think this crack in the exhaust is a problem and it shouldn't affect turbo boost at all.

Just skimming your other stuff, it's possible that there's a leak somewhere between the intake and turbo associated with the EGR system. This may not be detected by a boost leak test and it would definitely cause a weird sound and loss of power. I can understand how frustrating this is but that's all I got. Any more clues, feel free to post a follow up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ask the tuner if a spike up to 37 psi is normal. I would say no because the turbo would quickly fail. Or maybe the turbo is failing due to 37 psi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts