VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local VW dealer today to see what it would cost to have the dealer change the timing belt in my Jetta and was told $540 ish dollars, not to bad really, but then I asked what it would cost if they changed the water pump at the same time. The new price was roughly $1030 not including a tensioning pulley and i am guessing the serpentine belt will be extra as well. I have looked at Chitty's step by step guide to replacing the timing belt and water pump and both look pretty straight forward. Am I missing something with the water pump? Or is it just the dealer flat rate charge thing hitting me twice for the work to get to the both the water pump and the timing belt?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Something isn't right. Are they also changing the tensioner and pulleys? Those have to be changed as well. The water pump is just 3 bolts after the belt is off. Granted they have to refill the coolant but find someone else.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Can you ask to see an invoice of what they would change? If that price includes all parts, tax, fluids and misc charges, that's not that bad for a dealer price. The parts alone are around $250 on the internet so that means $350 after tax and dealer mark up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the price for the timing belt is very reasonable, its the extra $500 charge for the water pump that bothers me, and if I know my local dealer they aren't changing anything but the belt for that price, especially since the tensioner would be extra. I am sure I can get a written quote, they just aren't convenient to get to.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I think the confusion is that when you asked to change the timing belt, the book time is low. It's possible to remove the timing belt and not remove the motor mount or the other stuff. This is pretty much useless.

The actual time to do the job is the higher number because you have to remove the motor mount to get the tensioner and water pump off. And of course, make sure that price also includes replacement coolant because the dealer will rip you off on that and the tensioner/idler pulley. They should know to replace the motor mount bolts because they're single use bolts and not replacing them or over tightening them will cause the engine to fall down. There are some bad techs at dealers who don't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You are lucky that they only wanted that much for the timing belt job. I have a 2005 VW Beetle and they wanted over $800 just to do the timing belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just finnished doing my 2005 tdi.Timing belt kit was $195 & $75 for the water pump.Timing tool kit was another $50.I used the instructions posted on this site.My car has 6mm allen head bolts on crankshaft pulley not tri square ones!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts