VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed my brake fluid and manual transmission fluid in my 2006.5 Jetta TDI 5-speed transmission. The brake fluid change went quite well with the power bleeder.

When it came to changing the tranny fluid, I measured the fluid coming out and only seemed to get less than a quart. When trying to fill the tranny through the upper sensor-plug hole with the same amount, excess fluid came out the inspection hole. I plugged the inspection hole and continued to fill the fluid through the sensor plug towards the top-side of the tranny. Is it normal to get less than a quart of fluid out when draining the tranny?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/manual-gear-Oil-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI.htm

Either you didn't drain all the oil or it was low. My guess is you didn't drain all the oil - you have to remove a shifter pin too. Read this article for details.

Filling by the same amount drained will cause oil to drip out early because they changed the angle of the transmission without changing the location of the fill hole. My total guess is it's because it's the same basic transmission used for years and they didn't bother to change the fill hole when using it on the new body style. I think it's a confusing design error.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think I should go to the trouble of trying to change the tranny fluid again at this point? I'm wondering how much more fluid will come out by opening the shifter pin; if the amount would total the 1.9 quarts that's suggested. The car has 65,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/manual-gear-Oil-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI.htm

Either you didn't drain all the oil or it was low. My guess is you didn't drain all the oil
The thought of the fluid level being low worries me. You say you were able to get 1.9 quarts out of your tranny. Would there be a problem, If I were to re-drain the fluid, to include out of the shifter pin, and then fill the tranny through the top sensor plug with 1.9 qts. of fluid, without going off the measurement of what's actually coming out?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
My guess is that since you added back however much you drained, it should be good.

If you decide to redrain the oil, thoroughly clean the area around the plugs before draining the oil so that you can reuse it. I suggest filling as much as you can through the normal fill hole until it begins to dribble out. The 10mm hose is too small as is and takes a while to top off the transmission. I don't know how you could check the level without draining and refilling. Please post a follow up if it was low.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed the recommended steps in this forum on the re-do today of changing the fluid. The first attempt was completed on a service bay lift, which kept the vehicle level. This time I elevated the front of the vehicle on ramps and opened the shifter pin for drainage. I was able to get about 1.5 quarts of fluid out and then just refilled with 1.9 liters through the top sensor plug. It was either low the first time or I just didn't refill it properly.

I also adjusted the shifting linkage. I feel a lot more comfortable this time around knowing the proper amount of fluid is in the tranny. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My guess is that since you added back however much you drained, it should be good.

If you decide to redrain the oil, thoroughly clean the area around the plugs before draining the oil so that you can reuse it. I suggest filling as much as you can through the normal fill hole until it begins to dribble out. The 10mm hose is too small as is and takes a while to top off the transmission. I don't know how you could check the level without draining and refilling. Please post a follow up if it was low.
Just quick question:

Does transmission gear oil is changes when clutch work is done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry,

I meant if transmission oil is changed during clutch repair. You already explained that NO.
My car has manual transmission and 70K already driven. When should I change transmission oil?
Some manual says between 50k-100k. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
VW does not specify any manual trans oil change. Between 80-100k depending on use is reasonable depending on use. Make sure to read the FAQ article for the procedure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts