VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trouble with my 2006 Jetta TDI, Brm motor the camshaft shows wear on one lobe and my engine is making a ticking noise. Just wondered how hard a job it is to fit it. Can I just replace the camshaft to fit it? How much is it to do a job like this? Thanks for your website.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
New lifters, camshaft, and bearing.

There's a trick to getting the cam in easily, take a look through the FAQ section on pumpe duse camshaft wear and camshaft replacement. There's a step by step walkthrough w.links to vendors so you can price it out. If you need the cam counterhold tool and cam pulley puller I can rent them by request.

Also, post moved to mk5 section.,
welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would not replace just the camshaft since the lifter on the worn lobe is worn as well. The lifters and camshaft wear into each other so make sure to replace them all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
same problem here.... think about other options before replacing... if you install new parts, chances are, you will run into the same problem after another 50,60,100,120K.... or what ever... VW mess up big time on the design of this motor... and they are just sitting back waiting for enough people to complain... Lady at VW corporate says if they get enough complaints, they will file a campaign to replace and or reimburse owners for damages... I am not holding my breath for that. Keep in mind, those of us that bought TDI's in the first place wanted them for a:longevity, b:mpg's. So far, I should have stuck with a gas engine, cause i would have gotten a lot more miles out of it... Not to ramble, but any other car i have owned, i have gotten a min 250K out of the motor with only normal maintenance, ie. oil changes every 3k and normal tuneups.... So VW has really pissed me off with not standing behind there product..... Thanks for letting me vent.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem here.... think about other options before replacing... if you install new parts, chances are, you will run into the same problem after another 50,60,100,120K.... or what ever... VW mess up big time on the design of this motor... and they are just sitting back waiting for enough people to complain... Lady at VW corporate says if they get enough complaints, they will file a campaign to replace and or reimburse owners for damages... I am not holding my breath for that. Keep in mind, those of us that bought TDI's in the first place wanted them for a:longevity, b:mpg's. So far, I should have stuck with a gas engine, cause i would have gotten a lot more miles out of it... Not to ramble, but any other car i have owned, i have gotten a min 250K out of the motor with only normal maintenance, ie. oil changes every 3k and normal tuneups.... So VW has really pissed me off with not standing behind there product..... Thanks for letting me vent.:eek:
I have same problem like you. replaced cam at 86k miles, and now again at 115k. do you know how we can find out how many owners of TDI PD (pumpe duse) have same problem? Or where I can get this information. .I have sued VW for this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts