VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I just started having an issue with the car stumbling at startup. Once I hit the accelerator, it smooths out and as long as I slowly take it back to idle there is no more issue. I haven't done any maintenance in about a month when I replaced the fuel filter. Pulled the filter out to test and it does the same thing with no filter in the line. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Link to the video is here:
Download Attachment
Available until Jan 14, 2020

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Vcds measuring Block 13. Mine had the same symptoms when one of my injector seals went bad. Also struggled to start after sitting a couple days.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You can always try to find someone nearby with it. IME, if you want to maintain these cars yourself, your really need it. It's a couple hundred bucks well spent. On most posts, the first response will frequently be "have the car scanned and post it back."

·
Super Moderator
9,230 Posts
There is no TDI Wiki yet as I've said in your intro.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unplugged the MAF and it runs like a new car. Do I need to do anything other than change it out? Could that indicate something else?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
That's not uncommon. When you disconnect the MAF the computer defaults to a canned mixture setting which is much more rich. This will just mask the problem, decrease your fuel economy and probably blow more black smoke. There is a chance your maf is bad but that would set a CEL code. And MAF codes are pretty ubiquitous for other actual issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not uncommon. When you disconnect the MAF the computer defaults to a canned mixture setting which is much more rich. This will just mask the problem, decrease your fuel economy and probably blow more black smoke. There is a chance your maf is bad but that would set a CEL code. And MAF codes are pretty ubiquitous for other actual issues.
Thanks for the feedback. I did end up with a CEL, but as you mentioned, they can be nebulous. I changed out the MAF this evening and have driven a good 50-60 miles. CEL is gone and the car isn’t smoking/stuttering anymore. I did order a VAG-COM but it hasn’t arrived yet. I’ll run the diags whenI get it and see if anything else is amiss.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure if you disconnected your MAF sensor your car would not start.:unsure:
Thanks for posting. At least on the TDIs, the ECU will recognize the loss of signal and use a preset fuel ratio. Car runs fine without the MAF, but isn’t as efficient.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts