VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody. New here but not to forums (I own one) and have grown up with diesels. I currently have two Cummins powered trucks in the yard and just picked up an '06 Jette TDI. There are no service records to go with the TDI. The previous owner says the timing belt was changed at about 60k miles, but the dealer where we picked up the Jetta says they checked with the dealer that did work on it and they say they have no record of changing the belt. Therefore I am going to assume that it needs changed (101k miles) unless somebody can tell me how to tell if it needs changed. Any ideas?
Tom

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
The only way you can guess if the TB was changed is to remove the pulley and tensioner and check the manufacture date stamps. After all that, I would buy the parts in advance and change it anyways. Make sure to also check for camshaft wear as it's a very common problem on these engines. The previous owner probably changed the serpentine belt and didn't know the difference. Take a look through the buying guide for some other common problems.welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I planned on changing the timing belt just to be on the safe side anyhow. I am quite familiar with the Cummins 5.9, but need to learn about these. I saw the buying guide and was impressed with the amount of info you have there! Lots of great reading!

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
VW dealers have independent service data bases--what one dealer does to you car is not shared with others. And I have not been able to get print-outs of the service records done on my car. I snuck a good look once at the dealer's and wish I had hit the "print screen" button while the service rep was busy with someone else!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts