VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 with 223K on the ticker. It was driving and starting just fine. I parked it at home as usual, it sat for a day and went out to start and it cranked over great but didn't ignite at all. I've check for burned out fuses. I tested voltage to the fuel pump which was fine, but I replaced the fuel pump and filter hoping that was it, but it didn't make a difference. The fuel is being delivered to the fuel filter. It just cranks over fine but does not start. I also recently cleaned out the air filter, so that's ok. Could it be the glow plugs or fuel delivery? The car doesn't even seem to need the glow plugs normally, because it just starts up instantly without any need for the plugs to warm up.

Another oddity that happens occasionally, which is another reason I decided to replace the fuel pump, when sitting on a hill facing upwards it has a difficult time igniting with long crank time before igniting and starting. And occasionally while driving uphill (sometimes near shift times) it will hiccup like it's got air instead of fuel.

Other ideas of things it could be that I've researched so far:
  • 50Amp glow plug fuse (not sure of its location)
  • Relay #109? Or another relay?
  • Could be failure of the high pressure fuel pump. But that's usually catastrophic and probably wouldn't happen after sitting a day.
  • I don't think it's the injectors themselves ( I run injector cleaner once every couple months)
Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
9,337 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

We aren't sure what you have done, recheck what you have done.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

Do you have the correct fuse and relay layout? Fuse & Relay PDF Files

I don't think you have a 109 relay. If you did you can crank it all day and it will never start as its the main power feed to the ecu.

There is Automatic Glow Time Control Unit (J179) 461 C2 under the bonnet relay carrier.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I'm new here, I'm just a hobbyist and am no expert on TDIs so I'm not sure you'd want my advice in your forums.

So some background on the vehicle, I've not done any major mods to vehicle. It's a manual 5 speed. I've owned the vehicle since 150k. The clutch was replaced at 200k. Drivers door door wiring harness fixed with bullet connectors and heat shrink. A sweet win has been adding an aux to the stereo for $10 from ebay. Normal maintenance other than that. Always used Liquid Moly VW 505 01 compliant oil. Fuel filter was last replaced at 190k. I get about 39-42 mpg (normal is 40mpg).

I removed the glow plug wiring harness to check the plugs, the harness was which is very brittle and one of them was basically hanging on by a thread of wire (so that will need to be fixed). I removed the glow plug relay, however I’m not really sure how to test it. I found resistance of 0.5 Ohms from G1,G2,G3,G4 to 30. The I didn’t find conduction on the rest. Is it worth replacing? This video is also a great visual for finding that glow plug relay under the fuse box.

Unfortunately the vehicle is dead a home and I don't have a scanner. The dash lights are in their normal ignition sequence, no messages codes on the dashboard. But I’d like to check the power to the ECU as you recommended. I see that the ECU is located underneath the windshield and windshield wipers. How would you recommend checking power to it? This video is a great reference for ECU removal for the MK5

I’ll message you for the diagrams, cheers!

2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI-PD Fuses & Relays 1K2733 BRM 2004-2009
2006 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Sedan 4-Door 1.9L 1896CC 116Cu. In. l4 Diesel Turbocharged

IMG_2891.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,337 Posts
There is Automatic Glow Time Control Unit (J179) 461 C2 under the bonnet relay carrier.
As I said my PDF shows Automatic Glow Time Control Unit (J179) 461 C2 under the bonnet relay carrier. Those will be the terminals on the Automatic Glow Time Control Unit (J179) I can't tell you where they go unless I look in ElsaWin again and make another PDF file.

30 will be the main power feed, 87 and 86 is the switching circuit to switch it off and on. I see 87 but no 86.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like I'm having this same problem with the tandem pump. The BRM 1.9 TDI engine actually doesn't have a belt-driven high pressure fuel pump like the TDI 2.0 model. The Vacuum Tandem Pump's part number is TDI 038-145-209-Q
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=397112

These are the same symptoms I'm having. Plenty of cranking but still no fuel to cause ignition.

There's a kit for about $70 to repair it from Meat & Doria 91147, or you can purchase a new one for about $250+
A rebuild video.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the fuel pump doesn't seem to be the problem.

I don't have a VAG-COM\VCDS, but I did manage to borrow a simple scanner from a friend. There was a couple of other warnings that it showed (some have been removed because they were items that have been unplugged like the mass air flow sensor and glow plugs.

Could there be an issue with the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor? It does have a weird loping after revving and letting of in order to return to an idle state.

Error:
C3300 Code

Warning:
P0200 Code (possibly injector wires)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts