VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I have a 2006 Jetta Tdi and need to replace the front wheel bearing assembly. Can anyone tell me what the torque specs need to be? Especially the 12mm triple square bolts. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
They are stretch bolts (torque to yield bolts) so don't reuse them.

front hub:
12 point bolt:
Tighten to 70 Nm with wheels off the ground.
Lower car to the ground and tighten a further 90°.

Hexagonal bolt:
Tighten to 200 Nm with wheels off the ground.
Lower car to the ground and tighten a further 180°.

Front hub - wheel bearing housing bolts:
70 Nm+1/4 turn

Brake caliper to carrier:
30 Nm

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i see there is a lot of debate on the values for the differet bolts. Do we have any updated info on this? Seems there is a huge difference in torque on the two.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I think Chitty has got the hub and axle description confused, I believe the axle should both be 200NM+180 regardless of whether they are hex or triple square ( 12 point) both should be a 16mm bolt. Note the manual says it should be tightened fully in 2 stages both OFF the ground

70Nm +90 is for a 12mm hub bolt

Here attached a pdf for the front suspension Mk5 Golf 2004-2009, its from the official VW ERWIN factory manual

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I just replaced the driver's side front wheel bearing on my early 2006 (uses the early fuel filter) VW Jetta TDi (120K) today. The bearing I got from IDPARTs (
OE Part Number: 5K0498621
Manufacturer's Part Number: WBK5456
Front wheel bearing by FAG for the 2005-2014 Jetta and Sportwagen, 2011+ Golf, 2011+ Jetta, 2012+ Passat TDI and 2013+ Beetle TDI. Also fits the 2010+ Audi A3 TDI. )
had T60s for the 4 hub bolts. I hope the torque specs were supposed to be the same (70Nm +90) because that's what I used. The old part did have the 12mm triple square bolts.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I think Chitty has got the hub and axle description confused, I believe the axle should both be 200NM+180 regardless of whether they are hex or triple square ( 12 point) both should be a 16mm bolt. Note the manual says it should be tightened fully in 2 stages both OFF the ground

70Nm +90 is for a 12mm hub bolt

Here attached a pdf for the front suspension Mk5 Golf 2004-2009, its from the official VW ERWIN factory manual
The confusing thing is that the bentley paper manual shows the values I put in the writeup and that the car has to be on the ground. It's such a high torque value that I would feel more comfortable torquing against the ground and weight of the car and transmission vs. just the transmission counterholding it. At this point I'd use your values as it could have been a typo from bentley. Also, one bolt has a washer on it, the other doesn't. It would change the torque felt by the bolts. Not sure which is correct but I'd feel more comfortable using the higher one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts