VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yanked open the valve cover expecting to find a horror show.. But its not that bad. I mean its drivable. Nothing is wrong with the performance *yet*. its at 80,000 miles and needed inspecting. Plus I just did my TB successfully.
I was expecting to see World War III, but found a production of West Side Story.

Its not in good shape. I say to hell with 505.01. I'm using Shaffer's. For the record I was a Nazi about OCI and using only 505.01. I even changed it early. BUT the previous owner was a tiny little high school girl (at least kids today are learning to drive stick) who took very good care if it (she had all the receipts and the manual had the VW stamp of maintenance). I do NOT, however, like finding glitter everywhere.

Anyway the wear: Its not THAT bad.. but its not very good. I have discoloration/burns. Scratches. SCRATCHES!!!! What the Hell? SCRATCHES??? :eek I may as well dump gravel in the valve cover filler cap. sheesh. The beveled ends of the cams are ok. And the button things are ok. I have a row of black ones and silver ones.:annoyed I like how VW hid the silver ones furtherest back and the black ones up front. :D

Wait... wait.. its my future.... I see... cam shaft replacement! At least I kind of enjoy working on my car, or id be depressed:nana2:

Can I get a good PD oil? I uses Total 5w-30, and am using Motul 505.01 Specific 5w-40. I can't find a straight answer. Any oil Just make up a brand if you have too! here's a good brand: Hellman's Mayonnaise makes 505.01 Certified engine OIL! Hellman's Quartz MC12 5w40. :D Might as well!

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If you need the camshaft tools I rent them :)

5w40 should help. If you want to try something different, Franko6 modifies the bearing caps by drilling them out to add more oiling. In theory, this should cool and support the cam more. I just put on a new cam and will use 5w-40 from now on.

At least you didn't have the dealer tell you that you need a new head :) Ah, the joys of owning a VW!:ban

·
Registered
33 Posts
You can send the bearing caps to Frank and let him modify them. If you are hesitant to drill the head for the cylinder #1, then let him know so he does not modify that cap. Drilling the head sounds worse than it is, just be real anal about getting all of the shavings out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts