VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

06 jetta brm cam and timing belt change.

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  theiceman 
#1 ·
I just change out the cam and timing belt on my new to me 06 jetta tdi brm. After getting fuel it started right up and sounds great at idle but under load or in drive not so good.
The test drive did not go well I could cruise at about 10mph but if I give it more throttle she will surge and buck. I don't have a VCDS to check the torsion value but does this seem like a timing issue? The only other thing I did was remove the EGR and clean it. No check engine light. Thanks

#2 ·
Did you use the write-up posted on this site? If so, did you follow it to a "T"? I remember doing this job last year on my '06 BRM and there is a few spots where you need to get a small flexible mirror to see the timing marks on the sprockets as well as some other detail that's alluding me. I followed the write-up meticulously and had zero issues after finishing the job.

If you are having issues with response this website/forum doesn't have many folks that chime in sometimes - at least with 06 BRMs I've found. You'll have better luck on TDIClub.

Cheers

#4 ·
Timing was off. Went back thru the steps and put crank and cam locks in but the first go I did not have the 3 cam pulley bolts loose before I tightened the belt. This timing I made sure both locks went back in with no effort and it’s running good now. Patience is the key. I don’t own a VCDS to check torsion value should I get this checked? Thanks

#8 ·
i am just now reading about this as i just recently obtained a TDI. I can tell you from what i have seen the biggest mistake is not loosening the cam pulley. When you understand what you are doing it makes perfect sense to loosen it. I have done many timing belts on many engines , and a perfect example of this is the v6 2.8 audi 90 engine. you lock the cams , then loosen the sprockets on both cams , as you tighten the belt you can see the sprockets turning on the cams, its great to watch and wish i had a video. When you see this you realize if you had not had the sprocket loose and tightened the belt. it would instantly move the cams because it is under tension one way or the other by the belt when you remove the locks. with the sprockets free of the cams, the cam is locked. the belt tensions evenly to wherever you want it to be, lock down the sprocket on the cam , and everything is happy and not tensioned one way or the other..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.