VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Well checking for a battery drain is generally straight forward. You need an ammeter that will read 10A DC or you could use a clamp meter. Switch everything off in the car. Disconnect one battery lead/terminal and connect in the ammeter in circuit observing polarity.

Check if the ammeter shows anything. It will show a few milliamps that the clock is using. If its showing over 1 amp you need to remove each fuse from both fuse boxes and note the meter again. If the current drops after you remove a particular fuse then the current draw is in that circuit. You need to check what components are fed from that fuse and disconnect each one in turn until the current drops again. Then you will know which component is causing the battery drain.

2 new batteries in 4 wks
You also need to check thats its charging correctly. If this is your second battery in 4 weeks then if it isn't charging that will run the battery down. ;)

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Yes but you don't normally leave your radio on when your not in the car or do you? ;)

·
Premium Member
9,665 Posts
Maybe they do but I wouldn't have thought 1 amp.

Well follow my procedure and find what current its drawing then you'll know what the radio draws. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I measured the voltage drop one night at 1.5 v. After pulling the fuse on the radio fuse the voltage drop was measured at .23 v. Any ideas on where to get a new or rebuilt radio and how to install. thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts