VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to all,

I just purchased a 2005 Passat TDI w/119k on the odometer. I contacted the dealer where the car was originally purchased and inquired about any maintenance that had been performed on the vehicle. I was mostly interested in whether or not the timing belt had been replaced. The dealer said it had not! I am nervous to even drive the car at this point (119,000) miles.

Any recommendations on a timing belt kit would be greatly appreciated. I understand I want a kit with the metal impeller water pump and serpentine belts and appropriate seals and pulleys.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, take a look at the mk4 B5 Passat how to list in the FAQ for a detailed walk through. There are links to well known vendors. FYi, please also read the FAQ article about the oil pump, if you're doing the timing belt it is a good time to also do the oil pump which might wear out considering your mileage.

welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply,

I took a look at the oil pump information....WOW that seems like a pretty intensive repair
Does anyone know a good VW TDI mechanic near Flint, MI?

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Sorry... the closest one I've seen recommended is in Saint-Louis...

You could ask on the TDI-Club to see if anyone can find one closer, but there aren't too many mechanics who have shown that they can do this well... (and that includes many VW dealers - some of which have never heard of this procedure...)

Check out http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293773

All the best,

Yuri

1 - 4 of 4 Posts