VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 05 Passat with 200,000 miles. Was told it overheats when I bought it so it was no surprise. I figured with 200k on the clock it was time for a timing belt anyway. I installed new timing belt, water pump and thermostat. it will idle at 190 on the gauge all day. within 2 miles of leaving the house it is overheating. I pull over and let it idle for a few minutes and the temp comes back down. Goes right back up as soon as I start driving again. I have lifted the coolant tank and bled the heater core several times. Seems to burp a little each time. Heat seems to come and go as well. Is there something I'm missing? Could a plugged EGR, oil cooler, or something else be causing this overheating?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Are both fans working?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I picked up an 05 Passat with 200,000 miles. Was told it overheats when I bought it so it was no surprise. I figured with 200k on the clock it was time for a timing belt anyway. I installed new timing belt, water pump and thermostat. it will idle at 190 on the gauge all day. within 2 miles of leaving the house it is overheating. I pull over and let it idle for a few minutes and the temp comes back down. Goes right back up as soon as I start driving again. I have lifted the coolant tank and bled the heater core several times. Seems to burp a little each time. Heat seems to come and go as well. Is there something I'm missing? Could a plugged EGR, oil cooler, or something else be causing this overheating?
How about a plugged radiator? You say you fiddled with the heater core, but what about the radiator core? Consider reverse flushing the radiator core and see what comes out. Is there evidence of stop-leak being used? How clean and pretty is the coolant tank?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts