VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I want to start by saying the site is great and the How-To was very helpful. I just want to note some small items I noticed when I did my New Beetle "Herbie Jr." These items may ne unique to the NB and I know there are not a lot of them around..

There is an allen bolt holding a bracket for wiring that must be removed from the intake body before you can get the upper timing belt cover off.

The radiator water reservoir does not have to have the hoses disconnected to move it out of the way. Disconnect the wiring and you can get enough slack to move it out of the way to the front of the engine next to the radiator.

With all the room in a NB engine compartment (yeah right), go ahead and remove the fuel filter and bracket (now is a great time to change it anyways) along with the second intercooler pipe . Trust me you will love the added space and it only takes a minute or two.

If you do not have a pin to hold the accessory belt tensioner an Allen wrench will work. :D

My accessory belt pulley on the crankshaft was held in place with 4 "socket head " (Allen) bolts. Not 12 point heads. As discussed in other threads this might of been a production change.

Do not loosen the timing belt tensionor until you have the locking tools in place :eek (don't ask how I know this).

If you move the engine up and down (i use a jack and am careful) to help get to things and the engine mount falls out, There is NO way to put it back in after you install the belt. Put it back in place routing the belt around it an dfinish the belt after you get the mount bolts started.after you route the belt.

I hate the hose connectors for the inter cooler connections. The look like they are hooked and then you add boost and they come apart.

The whole job took about 5-6 hours after loosing an hour fighting with the motor mount..:annoyed

And I can't even spell New in the title. Oh well..

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I will add this link to the writeup as I don't know any differences on the new beetle.

Yes, it's easier to work around the mount. The fast connection clips can also hold for a while and let loose a day later as you've found out!

Title typo edited.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
BEW Keith, right at the top in bold writing, I was going to say maybe you work to hard but as it's saturday I'll pressume it's a drink related error lol.

Man you guys need the AGR, there's no mount down the side of the engine, what a great idea that was I tell you. Unlike the stupid two piece mount in the sharan with the AFN, now that was a stupid idea.:D

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
Sorry my mistake for not reading it closely. No I haven't had a drink I'm just tired. We don't have the BEW in the UK. ALH, AGR, ATD, AXR and BSW for the 1.9 TDI.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
It's a bit nuts that we get convertibles and you don't, since when have we really had the weather to use a convertible except once in a blue moon lol.:D

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
If you move the engine up and down (i use a jack and am careful) to help get to things and the engine mount falls out, There is NO way to put it back in after you install the belt. Put it back in place routing the belt around it an dfinish the belt after you get the mount bolts started.after you route the belt.

The whole job took about 5-6 hours after loosing an hour fighting with the motor mount..:annoyed
I had the same problem with the engine mount on my ALH, didn't realise it could be left on. Time spent changing the belt was doubled just trying to get the mount back on!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks gt4494 for your Beetle specific tips!

Your tips were very accurate and eliminated what would have been some time consuming surprises. :D
I Got my Timing Belt kit delivered quickly from Dieselgeek.com and the change on my 2005 Beetle went smoothly... and with my TRIPLE checking the procedural steps/ torques only took me 5 hours.
Overall a pleasant experience! It's the UNKNOWNS in any project that demoralize Ya! :thumbsup

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are welcome. That's why we are here. Sharing lessons learned helps others not having to go through the learning cycle.

Glad it went smooth and hope you have many enjoyable miles in you NB.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You only need to remove the bolts from the front mount. This will allow you the access to get the belt off. If the motor mount falls out while working the rest of the belt change, make sure you get the mount back in before you route and tighten the new timing belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I attempted this today and it will not start

2006 Beetle TDI BEW

everything went well until I had to reinstall the motor mount to the block

I thought I had it in the correct location but it was below the water pump instead of above it

I removed the belt after putting the pin in the cam gear hole and locking the crank

when I got it all back, and turned it over 2 times, the pin wouldn't go in the hole but I could get a smaller allen wrench in so I did the final torqueing of the tensioner and buttoned it all back up

went to start it and no fire

VCDS shows the injector timing at 8.4 BTDC and torsion at 0

not sure what to do

·
Registered
5 Posts
finally got it. had to remove the cam gear and set the cam to the casting mark on the block and that got the pin in the hole just like before.

put it all back together and it fired. VCDS looked good so it is done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts