VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one lifter if you can see it in the picture is wedged and broken. as you can see it has done some damage outside of the pocket. If the pocket is smooth and the new follower fits without friction will the head still be functional? The damage part has not been taken out yet. I am doing a camshaft replacement.
Automotive tire Black Wood Style Black-and-white

Thanks for you thoughts.

Jason

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
if the valves are ok, no loose bits flying around and everything can move correctly then probably ok. But looks like something horrible is under the damaged 'follower' - i wonder what the valve looks like underneath... Looks like both are damaged
Any bits of metal underneath follower?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the valves are ok, no loose bits flying around and everything can move correctly then probably ok. But looks like something horrible is under the damaged 'follower' - i wonder what the valve looks like underneath... Looks like both are damaged
Any bits of metal underneath follower?
PerterAFox the damaged part is the hyrdolic lifter itself, it has broken to pieces and now half is now stuck in the cylinder. I am sure some metal has fallen down, valve apears to be straight and everything else turns but perhaps it has corkscrewed enough to not be funtional. If the hyrdolic lifter dose not spin very easy but still spins by hand I wonder if the head is still functional?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
there's a little grommet with a spring in where the valve stem goes through the cylinder head (forgotten the exact name of it), which you can probably see / access without taking valve out (underneath lifter, at 'bottom' of valve) - is it still intact? Is your head off?

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
both the followers in the picture look damaged. .. FOD seems to the cause of most problems in that area, then worn followers and worn camshaft. maybe the screws on the rockers were not set correctly? Anyway, it happens.
GIve it a go - worth changing all the followers, and check the screws that push them. VW recommend changing the screws every time you take off rockers / cam, but I've only changed mine once and had no problems other than worn followers. Maybe do a pressure test on the cylinders when the head is back on, but if 'grommets' are ok, then probably nothing got into your cylinders, especially if they look good

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a follow up, I took valve springs out. The lifter half that was broken fell down the cylinder, removed broken cup and replaced springs with original springs. I did not take the head off the engine, I wish I took pictures or a video. There is a special valve remover/replacer tool the lisle 36200 it is awesome. Now having no engine crank problems. Posted question in another forum titled Wont Turn Over

1 - 7 of 7 Posts