VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me a 04 Passat TDI. The body is in very good condition and the engine runs great with no error codes. 150 k miles. BUT it has the automatic transmission that is junk. I know they don't have a good report at all but I am curious what others would do with the car and more specifically what are the true options. I got 2 quotes on rebuilding the tranny and both came in around $6000. Has any one had any experience with a rebuild? How many miles would you expect and is there anything that i can do to make them last better? Any suggestions on a good rebuilder for those transmissions? I'll drive a ways to find a good reputation.
The other question is, "Is it possible to switch it out for a 5 speed manual trans?" Is it advisable? Has it been done? and what all is involved?
I am a mechanic and have the VCDS software but don't have a lot of experience with the TDIs. I've had a 97 passat TDI for a while with no issues and just got a 05 Jetta for my son that i am working some bugs out of but not much experience other wise. THanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts