VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I place a new bulb in my brake light sockets on my tail lights, my third brake light stops working and brake lights don't work at all either. Third brake light works fine if there are no bulbs in other two brake light sockets. As soon as I make contact with a bulb and the sockets, the third brake light goes out and starts working again if I take out the bulbs. All other tail lights are working. Not sure how to fix this.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
you probably have a short (either to ground or to 12v) on "the other side" of one of the brake light sockets or both, which effectively makes the voltage on your 3rd light to be equal on both sides of it. Take the bulbs out, switch the lights on and measure each side of each light with a voltmeter (and ohmmeter to test resistance to ground / frame), and of course, read out your fault codes :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
you probably have a short (either to ground or to 12v) on "the other side" of one of the brake light sockets or both, which effectively makes the voltage on your 3rd light to be equal on both sides of it. Take the bulbs out, switch the lights on and measure each side of each light with a voltmeter (and ohmmeter to test resistance to ground / frame), and of course, read out your fault codes :cool:
thank you, will try. If all other tail light work normally, is it safe to assume I have a short to 12v and ground is ok?

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Make sure that the bulbs that you're using are the correct ones. LOTS of issues pop up with using the wrong bulbs. Possible that higher wattage bulbs could draw down the power enough that the 3rd brake light might not have enough amperage available to operate. 3rd brake light might also be close to death.

Double check the taillight bulb holder. Look closely at the circuitry for signs of corrosion. I had issues with a wagon once: water was messing one side up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts