VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Some of you may remember I was having stutter problems and finally figured it out that it was bad connection with #1 injector wiring plug. Anyway, have that fixed now, my problem now is that I am on my way of replacing the connecting pipe (weird S looking pipe) between the control flap and the exhaust manifold down by the turbo for the 5th time. For some reason, this keeps breaking at the bellows of this pipe. I would have thought since all of the pieces are connect to the engine block they would all move in unison.

Any help would be great, as I can't afford $100 a time. Engine seems to run fine no shudder but there seems to alot of shaking under acceleration at highway speeds. No shaking or shuddering when not accelerating.
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chitty, #12, had the ard up this morning and found out why it broke yet again. The egr cooler is loose because somehow the bolts (at least 1 i felt) have been broken off as the bolt is still in the motor and the bolt head has been broken off. Don' know what to do now. Seems like a big job to have this fixed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I don't know how much access you have and how much thread is exposed but I would try to remove everything for clearance and try to get the broken bolts out. You could try a drill out kit or weld a short piece of metal to the bolt for leverage.

·
Registered
482 Posts
All the bolts are broken? I am thinking that the aluminum head would strip before the bolt heads would snap off due to overtorque. Are you sure they're not studs?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Chitty, #12, had the ard up this morning and found out why it broke yet again. The egr cooler is loose because somehow the bolts (at least 1 i felt) have been broken off as the bolt is still in the motor and the bolt head has been broken off. Don' know what to do now. Seems like a big job to have this fixed. Any suggestions?

Thanks
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you must either replace the egr cooler or use a block off plate to disable it. This will make you emissions illegal. In Canada I do not know how important that is. You also need to replace any brackets they left off after they did the recall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who replied. With only being able to feel with my fingers, it seems that the heads of the bolts (allen) have broke off. Haven't got into it too much because I need the car for work. I have made up a temporary block off plate for the egr but only for the exhaust side and have put it on. I am not sure about how to remove the egr, i have read about it on this forum but will need to reread it. I am pretty sure their hs to be at leat 1 still okay. I will get underneath this weekend to determine.

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think i may have the same issue, when I looked, there is some oil film\residue on the connecting pipe #4 but the EGR cooler was clean, There was more oil and the end of the connecting pipe. The question is: since I am unable to do it myself, how much should this cost to repair by a mechanic or VW? Replace the EGR cooler or the connecting pipe?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts