VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm sorry for making this thread. I've searched all over, and I'm stumped.

I have an 04 BEW with close to 300k, and it has a rough time starting in the cold. When I am able to plug it in, it starts and runs like a champ. When I'm not able to plug it in and the temps are in the high 30's-low 40's and lower, it feels like a cylinder or two didn't get warm and misfires for a little bit before it evens out. Sometimes, the car will stall and die, but fire back up fairly easily. I also get a decent amount of diesely smelling smoke when this happens.

I have the NGK 7v GP's, and software version 0282. I tested voltage at the harness with the coolant temp sensor unplugged, and I was getting 10.3v for about 2 seconds, and then around 5v for the rest of the time. My glow plugs tested at 1.1 to 1.2 Ohms. I have no codes thrown.

I'm kind of leaning towards harness, given the age and mileage of the vehicle, but I just wanted to check before I start throwing money at it.

I also noticed a small amount of diesel underneath the tandem pump when I unplugged the CTS. That needs to be changed but it wouldn't be the cause of the hard start, right? The car does have a little "shimmy" every few seconds at idle, and I'm thinking the leaky tandem pump is the cause of that.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,230 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

No error codes scanned with what?

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have scanned the car with vcds, and no codes. As far as looking at timing, what all should I look at, and what should the values be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Vales are like -2 to +2 but I'm not sure what section of VCDS they'd be under. I'm unsure if you can actually change it through VCDS or you have to go in for a lite timing job.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I’m thinking timing, like Latota. Unfortunately, the BEW is not immune from camshaft and follower wear. To rule out easy stuff, like injector fueling issues, which can mimic timing issues. You need to look at injector quantity deviation using VCDS Measuring Tools. The numbers would vary, my Jetta would have slightly different readings than your BEW, but your readings should be close to each other. Look something like -0.20 mg/sti to 0.20 mg/sti. This is an example, not spec. The four injectors should be quite close to each other. In a perfect world, the numbers would be the same. If you get good numbers, it would rule out camshaft and injector issues. Glow plugs are wear items and are easy to change like sparkpugs. Just far more expensive than a set of platinum plugs. If you haven’t replaced glow plugs, it’s a start to remove them and inspect them. If you have replaced the glow plugs, the glow plug wires are next to rule out. With 300K miles, or Km, the wires could have been damaged. Heat and age are not friends of wires. Hope this gets you some direction.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think my injectors are a little tired. My cam is good, I replaced it about 30k ago. When I get some time, I'll look more into the timing. Thanks

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
With 5 volts steady on the glow plugs, I believe you need 5v glow plugs. The dealer did the glow plug update and the same deal. I could not start below 40. I changed to 5 v glow plugs and have been good since.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I agree you need new glow plugs, 5v. Check out company ISKRA that makes bew glow plugs, they are from Slovenia which is good and they are not that expensive.
Also replace fuel filter and that new "T" on the top of the filter. There is also fuel temperature sensor that is very inexpensive to change - I replaced it. Glow plug harness will give you code. Also when you start in the morning wait after the glow light turns off at last 3 seconds then crank. You could also have problem with starter which cranks with less rpm once it gets old due to wear. Also clean thick black negative battery cable where it bolts to the engine. Make sure battery clams are tight and can not be moved by hand left or right. If you have time replace the ECT sensor (the green one). Good luck. I also played with timing and adjusted it to 0. I did not experiment -2 or +2 which could even be better if others say so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts