VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Jetta tdi stalled on me last week. Could not restart. Had it towed to the garage they put fuel conditioner(911) in got it running but no power, changed the fuel filter started up after prime. Mechanic took it for a test drive stalled again and would not start. Had it towed to a VW guy, He thought it was fuel related check the fuel pump relay which checked OK and took a inlet filter out of the tank started the car and ran fine. Tried to start it again after being outside in the cold(Maine) for two days. Would not start, he told me he thought it might be the fuel injector pump because he picked up a code. Today he tells me the timing belt is in bad shape and it may have slipped possible damaging the valves. Does this make sense? Would the car start up and run fine if the timing belt was slipping then stall again. and then start back up and run fine again?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Hi, welcometomyturbodies.
I wouldn't have thought it would run very well if the belt had slipped. Maybe it's only slipped a tooth on the pump and thrown the timing right out which would probably let it run but make starting difficult.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
There is no fuel pump relay because there is no electric fuel pump. The injection pump both sucks fuel from the tank and pressurizes it.

Make sure that the tank level sensor pickup is drawing fuel correctly, some have mentioned that it can loosen up and cause no fuel.

Can't tell if the TB slipped but the 2003 ALH engine change interval is 100,000 miles. It could go a little more or if you're unlucky, could fail early. If the timing belt slips it will damage the valves unless it slipped at the injection pump and not at the cam or crank. Poor pump timing would be hard run or no start but this doesn't sound like it.

One way to verify timing belt position is to put the engine at TDC and see if all the marks line up. If so, it's not a timing belt problem. Look through the mk4 FAQ and look at timing belt part 1 to see these marks.

Engine needs fuel, air, and compression to run. One of these is causing the problem.

Also, does the glow plug light work? If not, the engine could have a bad relay 109. This controls power to ECU, no ECU = no fuel. The relay can fail intermittently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts