VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.. I've removed the intake manifold & EGR for cleaning. What a job! All I can say about this is that cleaning out the manifold for me was not worth the time it took or the potential problems it can cause if one little piece of carbon breaks loose and enters the cylinder. I suggest just buying a new manifold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
not sure the cost of a new one but cleaning it for me was well worth it. just a fiew special tools, cpl hours & a parts washer. guess it depends what your time is worth

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it also depends on how clean you want to get it. I used every method suggested here to clean it. I first removed a lot just by scraping with a flat screwdriver. Then I used ChemTool spray. Then soaked in bio-diesel, twice overnight. Then i used fire. I was surprised what came out after burning it. I thought i had done a good job but then i used a flexible scope to look inside and sure as heck I saw more clumps hanging on in different spots. I ended up taking a hacksaw blade and bending it to be able to reach those spots for scraping. I guess I got about 4-5 hours into it. If a new manifold costs 150 or less, i'd buy a new one. The mess alone was not fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts