VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 Jetta TDI wagon 1.9 with broken timing belt. I am a avid mechanic with access to all the right cam,crank and injection timing pin. I have install the correct head gasket, new head bolts and had the head remanufactured with new valves and lifters. I feel like my timing is right on. I found the -0 on the flywheel (auto) had the #1 cam lobs up with cam tool in place. injection pin in place. I had to loosed the three bolt on the injection pump gear(but did not touch the center) and the cam gear. I put the timing belt on adjusted my tentioner, locked down the injection pump and cam gear. I rotated the motor two rev's and checked my timing. Everything TDC. I let the vehicle sit overnight, then tried to start it. Cranks over fine, will not start. Tore down the timing covers again reconfirmed timing is on. I have been working on bleeding out the fuel lines for two day. Out of fustration I used a little ether. It starts and dies almost immediately. I am at a loss on what to check or do. I tried pulling a vaccum from the return line and opening and closing the 17mm nuts at the injectors. Foamy white fuel comes out of each injector. Still does not start.
Thanks for your help in advance

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
If it's really foamy it could still be air lock. It takes a very long time for the pump to self prime. Try loosening the nut and cranking some more.

If you still can't figure it out, make sure the fuel lines are routed correctly and the anti shudder valve is open. It's possible it's jammed but it's default position is to spring open. Maybe you have a vac line wrong? Try double checking them all.

If the rods were bent and the head gasket too thick, I could see low compression being a problem here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
02 Jetta TDI

Thanks for your reply, maybe is am pulling vaccum on the wrong line. I am pulling fuel through the outlet side of fuel regulator on top of the fuel filter. I know I can do this but I feel it would run on starting fluid. Pistons moved smoothly w/o head on they all came up to tdc. What do i do if there is that much air in the system?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jetta blues

What I did next is pulled the inlet and return line, sumerged the inlet into a clean container of diesel and caught the fuel coming out of the return. The fuel coming out is very milky and airaided. Still will not start or stay running w/o ether
Thnaks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I would also stop using ether. You've already determined it will run with it, it can damage the engine.

Try pulling a vac at the fuel inj-inj pump line as well. Milky fuel=air. Are you sure you don't have a big air leak on the fuel line somewhere? Maybe the o-ring or the thermo-t at the fuel filter is not seated?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts