VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to the forum. I have a 2002 VW GLS TDI with a bad FDB code 1M transmission. I have located a donor transmission,
but the owner says it is a EDF code unit. I am trying to figure out the gear ratios on his unit, to see if a swap is actually feasible.
I have a "01M" 4 speed automatic chart that does not list this transmission, but I have found other units on EBAY that are not
on this list either. I have been to the parts and service departments at my local dealer, and they couldn't find out any additional
information.
I also need to find someone who is familiar with VW TSB 01-07-09 for E68 speed sensor faults, and TSB 01-06-23 for G38 speed
sensor faults. Before the pump and or torque convertor went out, I was experiencing driving speed sensor and gear monitoring
faults. ( Car did not shift into 2nd or 4th gear,) I replaced both sensors, and tried a compatible TCM, but it did not help. Supposedly,
there is an overlay harness that fixes these issues. The factory wiring degrades over time, and causes signal issues back to the
computer. The dealer couldn't find any reference to those TSB's.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, the car has been down for quite some time with numerous issues, and my daughter needs
it back. (She adopted it from me, and I have a small fortune wrapped up in this car now.)

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

e.g.

VAG Error Code: 00297

Fault Location:
Gearbox Speed Sensor (G38) - No Signal

Possible Cause:
Wiring/Connector(s).
Water damage at connector.
Gearbox Speed Sensor (G38) faulty.

Possible Solutions:
Check Wiring/Connectors.
Check Transmission Vehicle Speed Sensor (G38).
Read Measuring Value Blocks (MVB).

Special Notes:
When found in the 4-Speed Automatic Transmission (01M) transmission:
Check for any applicable Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) for overlay wiring harnesses as mentioned on the 01M page.
The terminal connectors for the Transmission Output Speed Sensor (G195) and Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68) are the same and can be mixed up. This can give an "Implausible Signal".
Verify sensors have the correct connectors using the wiring diagram and Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) mentioned on the 01M page.

This fault is stored if the voltage value of the signal from the Clutch Position Sensor (G476) is outside the tolerance. In this case, it is not possible to delete fault 00297 either.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 02/2000-04/2002, Model: Golf/Variant/4Motion, Transmission Code: FDB, Transmission Type: 4A, Remarks: 01M Gearbox

Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 08/1998-12/1998, Model: Audi A4/S4/Avant/Quattro, Transmission Code: EDF, Transmission Type: 5A, Remarks: 01V Gearbox (four-wheel drive)
Manufacturer: Audi, Date(s) Used: 02/1999-05/2001, Model: Audi A6/Avant Quattro, Audi A6 2.7, Transmission Code: EDF, Transmission Type: 5A, Remarks: 01V Gearbox (four-wheel drive)

As taken from my new VAG Engine & Transmission Codes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up.
I scanned the car with an OBD11 tool, which did not provide error codes. The donor transmission is a FDF, not an EDF like the owner
stated. It will not work for my car. But on one of the posts on this site, it mentions that the tach should show around 2500 rpm at 70 mph.
Mine ran around 3000 rpm at that speed, before it gave out.
I contacted the dealer today, and got the part number for the overlay harness. I will get ahold of a VagCom after I locate another trans-
mission to verify codes, and will check to make sure those sensor connectors are not swapped. After rebuilding the motor, the transmission
had to come back out because the new rear main seal was leaking, so anything is possible.
This will not be a one and done issue where no one hears from me again. This car has been kicking my @#$%&*!!! since August of last year.
Just wish I could get my hands around the neck of the engineer that thought plastic baffles in an engine seemed like a good idea. Probably
related in some way to the idiot whose choice of a Renault transmission for the VW line resulted in a lot of unhappy ex customers.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply, this is my second VW, and it has been quite the headache for me and my mechanic. He is the one
who suggested that I buy it, and it has kept him guessing. And he knows his way around cars pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
9,227 Posts
I scanned the car with an OBD11 tool,
That isn't much use as generic scanners give false results.

As said: You need to get your motor scanned (preferably with VAG-COM\VCDS) for any error codes logged in the ecu and post them, that will save a lot of guessing and check systems out.

You said it was FDB.

If its FDF

Manufacturer: VW, Date(s) Used: 10/1999-06/2001, Model: Golf, Transmission Code: FDF, Transmission Type: 4A, Remarks: 01M Gearbox

1 - 4 of 4 Posts