VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Beetle TDI 127K miles. Wife just called and said she used the remote to unlock the car as normal and when she tuned the key to start the door locks locked, had no dash lights, the starter did not turn over and the alarm went off. She turned the alarm off with the remote, tried several times again with the remote and using the key in the door, after a while it finally started. Now she is afraid to shut it off.

Is there a common solution to this and is there a trick to be able to start it again if this happens again or will not locking the doors let you start it again? Is there a way to disable the alarm/security system all together? Would rather a thief take it than not be able to drive our own car.

Help us get our trust back. Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No dash lights is usually no electricity but you said it started fine.

Some possibilities: bad CCM. This comfort control module controls keyless entry, windows, and alarm which also has the starter interlock. Would not explain no lights.

Other common: relay 109. Look under the dash panel at the relay panel. One is marked 109. If black, replace with redesigned grey relay 109. Part number is on the relay. It controls main power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the advice of a local Guru, he said to try the valet key and if the car worked fine arming/disarming the alarm and the car starts fine then it is probably a low battery in the remote. I did that over a 15 mile round trip, shutting off, unlocking and starting several different times with no issues.

The no dash lights was none of the icons popped up when she turned the key on. I will go ahead and install new battery in the key remote and also take your advice changing out relay 109, it makes sence i'm sure it has never been replaced and it is a matter of when relay 109 goes out and not if.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No offense to the guru but the remote battery has absolutely nothing to do with the immobilizer, it has to do with the alarm and keyless entry. They are separate systems and are even in different physical halves of the fob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Guru is well respected and knows his stuff. I'm sure I wasn't explaining so good in my state of panic to get her going again. She was 2 hrs away.

I'm off to pick up relay 109, I'll update Monday. Thanks again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update

Like I said here is the update, I went to the dealer to pick up relay 109 which was $29.50 by the way and a new remote battery. They tested the remote battery which had 2.4VDC and the new had 3.6VDC, also they had to clean and adj. the contacts in order to get the remote working at no charge. With the new battery in the remote I did not have any more problems with the car Friday and Saterday, this probably did not have anything do do with the problems but take it for what its worth.

Sunday I went to change relay 109 and noticed that someone had previosly installed the updated grey 109 but it was loose. You could see it was not pushed in all the way on one side. I' not sure about any other model but on the Beetle 109 is next to impossible to get to or see due to modual 137 is directly below 109 which was why it was not pushed in all the way. I went ahead and pulled 137 so I could install the new 109 correctly. Again no more problems with the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts