VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI with ALH Engine ID. Currently the CEL is on and I took it to a mechanic. They couldn't fix it. They replaced the fuel filter, waste gate, and ECM and the problem still occurs. I loose the turbo after a couple of minutes driving down the road. It will shift, but there is no power. It also feel like there is some drag on the rear passenger side and it sounds like I have knobbed tires. When I try to climb a steep grade, it maxes out a 50mph and if I "floor it", the RPMs will go to 4500 but there will be no increase in power. What can I do?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
What is the CEL trying to tell you? Error codes would be helpful.

The parking brake or caliper could be sticking in the rear.

Take a look in the low power checklist article in the FAQ, the most common problem is a bad MAF sensor or sticking turbo vanes. At least you've already ruled out the wastegate and fuel filter. However, the ECM is a pretty expensive item and I would not be happy about having it replaced and not fixing the symptoms...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, sorry, new to this blog thing.

Off of an Innova 3100e

Error code - P1557

Calc Load (%) 92.5
ECT (Degrees C) 77
MAP (kPa) 251
Eng RPM 2,769
Veh Speed (km/hr) 115
Spark Adv (Degrees) 7.5
IAT(?) (Degrees C) 37
MAF (g/s) 107.52
TPS (%) 85.1

The mechanic took apart the turbo and said it looked clean. I got an ECM used on eBay for $125 cause the mechanic said he called VW and they no longer make ECMs for it.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
P1557 is boost pressure positive. Basically, the car's computer detected an overboost and put you into limp mode. Take a look through the FAQ articles for limp mode, the solution is usually in there.

The tire noise is something else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts