1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Wreck. Dang. It's Ok, cause I'm ok. :^)

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by JazzBeBop, Jun 29, 2012.

1. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE white on beige
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Well, the white stallion was involved in an accident and is currently inoperable, air-bag deployed, and looking pretty bad and sad. :^( That's ok because I walked away only with an air-bag scorch on my left forearm and a little shaken. It's times like these that your glad that you have a quality car that nice crumple zones designed into it.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Palouse

Palouse Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SE with sunroof
    Glad you are OK.
    My wife and kids were in a massive side-swipe in our 1986 Jetta Diesel. All survived unscathed, and the insurance company shelled out $7000 to fix a $9000 car--testimony to the worth of a VW. That's why we are on our 7th VW, and 3rd VW diesel.
    Hope the car comes back in tip-top shape.
  3. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Wow. So how did behave after the Jetta after the repairs?
  4. Palouse

Palouse Member

Car:
    2012 TDI SE with sunroof
    Jetta was fine. We ran it for years, retiring it after 450,000 miles about 4 years ago! Built to last and built to protect!
  5. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    +1. A dingbat broad totalled my 2000 Jetta and ins. co. paid-out $1800 more than I paid 2.5 years prior.
  6. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Here's what the Passat looked like fresh after the accident. It's currently in the shop. Man, you know how the old saying goes, "You don't know/appreciate what you have until you lose it."? Well, I certainly did appreciate this car, but now that I'm driving a rental, man, I have a more "profound" appreciation for it, but more importantly, more appreciative of life and how fragile it is. werd

Attached Files:

7. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta
    That looks almost exactly like my neighbors Passat, he had it all of a week and hit a deer a mile from his house. Kind of makes that first scratch not that big of a deal?
  8. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI

Kinda surprised the bag deployed, I was thinking much worse. Of course, very glad you're ok! You mentioned it being in the shop ... are they fixing it or totaling out?
  9. coffeemade

coffeemade New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Prem
    that's totally fixable.
  10. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI
    I agree, but it seems the insurance companies usually total them out when bags deploy. Something to do with the SRS activation and auto manufacturers designing them for one-time use. Probably to avoid liability on both ends. Curious to see what they do.
  11. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Well, it's still in the shop and the guys are still working on the estimate. I was thinking that deployed air bags were also a reason for totalling it out, but I think I'll get the verdict tomorrow. I was thinking how does a shop "know" everything is back to original condish? I don't know, but that can turn into a very sticky subject when dealing with sensors, air bags, frame alignment, electrical systems and relays. :ugh so I'll just have to wait for the guys to finish inspecting and assessing.
  12. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Well, it seems that repair shops and insurance companies either figured out a way save money and repair modern cars when airbags depoloy or they have figured out there was a loophole in the fine print. Either way, I just got my car back on Friday afternoon, that was the August 24th. My accident happened on the 29th...of JUNE! Oh, well, I guess that's what happens with newer cars when spare parts aren't gathering dust on storage bins. The shop did an "Eh" job as far as communication and QC. :rolleyes: Will I recommend them: NO. You know when an experience leaves a sour taste in your mouth? Well, I need to take these lemons and add lots of sugar and water and fix a nice big batch of lemonade.
  13. BPofMD

BPofMD Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SE TDI
    Why did you accept it?
  14. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    Mods:
    nah-zing yet
    Well, there was a lot going back and forth with me having to tell them to their face quite literally, "This bumper right here is completely off and this splash guard is loose, the head light is not even straight...it's completely out of its place! Dude! And you're telling me that THIS passes your QC?!!!" The guy's response was, "I don't know how I completely overlooked that." My response (internally) was "Duh!" So they took it back and straightened it out, took care of the other issues. Needless to say, that I am not through dealing with them...I'm just short on time as the school year has started and it keeps me as a teacher very, very busy.