1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Would you use this Head Gasket

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI' started by DixieTDI, Mar 7, 2012.

1. DixieTDI

DixieTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    I ordered a new gasket for my Jetta TDI and the one I received has much smaller holes than the original VW gasket that was on the motor. The old gasket holes matched exactly and the new one has some small round holes. Will this not overheat the engine being the water to the head is restricted. Please view the pictures and help me to decide if this gasket needs to be sent back.

Attached Files:

login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Its funny that one side has the larger hole but the other side doesn't. I suppose you can expect that with patent gaskets. I suppose it depends on your driving style if you want plenty of power most of the time it could get hot, I wouldn't fit it.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I don't know if it will overheat but I can tell you that smaller holes is very common on OEM gaskets where they want to control the flow. This helps build pressure in the head, control flow speed, make it squirt in certain ways, etc.. However, the OEM gasket isn't like this and I don't know if the return or feed hole is the small one. I can't say if it's better or worse or the same, just wanted to throw that info out there. I haven't heard of TDI heads warping from overheating just from a gasket if that helps.
  4. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    I guess the question I would have is what does the aftermarket gasket-maker know about coolant flow within the head/block that the OEM didn't?

Not much, methinks!

I share the OP's concerns. If I couldn't modify it a bit I'd likely not use it. Reason: The surface area of that port has changed quite dramatically and the flow through that hole will almost certainly be altered.

I just hate it when this stuff happens! Decisions...decisions.
  5. DixieTDI

DixieTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    The gasket maker is Elring which is supposed to be a reputable gasket maker. I have allways read that heat is the death of a diesel and I live in North Carolina with mild winters, I just feel water flow should not be restricted. Has anyone out there changed their head gasket and had smaller holes?
  6. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Do you know for a fact that the OEM didn't change the design of the head gasket after the original poster's engine was built?

Yuri
  7. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    Nope, I do not.

Do you have any reason to believe that the OEM did make that change?
  8. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Manufacturers are almost always making design changes during a production run... Assuming the original poster ordered the correct gasket in the first place (identical part number), if the replacement gasket manufacturer is a respected one, chances are that the new gasket is a later version. That said, there was a part number change for the 2006 BRM engine, depending on the serial number: up to 1K-6-751-614 and after 1K-6-751-615... it would certainly be worthwhile verifying if the correct gasket was sent...

Yuri
  9. DixieTDI

DixieTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    I have talked with the company that I bought the gasket from and it is the correct gasket, we checked several times with the numbers in the new one and my ser#. I called 5 dealerships before I found one that is one hour and forty five minuts from me and the parts dept pulled the gasket and compared the holes and they are just like my old one and match the holes on the block.

Attached Files:

10. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I've done a little searching, the elring ALH gasket is a good brand and has been used many times with success. I know the OEM BEW gasket was revised to restrict the coolant passages but it looks like for whatever reason, elring has modified their gasket while your dealer says the VW part hasn't been.

A little more searching revealed this: "The modification of the water passageways improves the thermal efficiency rate." I have added the .pdf and a link to this thread to the ALH head replacement article since it has some notes for all models, check the article for the .pdf. Here's a direct link http://www.elring.de/tsi/2011_TSI01_en.pdf
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012
  11. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    Chitty: My hat is off...terrific research skills:thumbsup
  12. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    I thought the original poster has a 2006 BRM ??

Yuri
  13. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    DOH! This was in the mk4 section. I'm moving it to mk5 section.

Evidently poor reading comp! Whoops, I got confused.:p
  14. DixieTDI

DixieTDI New Member

Car:
    Jetta 2006
    Thank you ChittyChittyBangBang for your research you just dont know how much I have sweated over this. I did not want to put it all back together and it run hot and have to pull it all apart. Heck with a Bentley Manual, this is the palce to find all your mechanical info. Thanks for your time.