WMO E85 in PD 2006 TDI

Discussion in 'Biodiesel general' started by polaris18t, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Have you ever heard of WMO as diesel fuel before?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2013.
  1. yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. polaris18t

polaris18t New Member

Car:
    Merry Christmas!

Fuel prices got too high for me this summer and after spending $900 in fuel in one month I got to thinking. Diesel can run on a lot of different fuels, Veggi oil, peanut oil, ATF with no problem... what about waste motor oil? I knew a man who used to work on the pipeline up here in Minnesota years ago. Before they went to electric pumps in the 80s the oil was pumped by 2 cylinder Nordberg diesel engines that siphoned off crude oil from the pipeline and ran it through centrifuge to clean it up a bit. Ocean liners run on waste motor oil... why not my diesels? So I started running it in my 81 Cadillac, my 95 powerstroke... and they loved it. My 95 stroker quite leaking fuel because of the damage of low sulfer diesel fuel these days. I got better fuel mileage, but it smoked like crazy. The 81 Caddi didn't smoke at all and it ran great.

Then I bought a 2006 jetta TDI (my 3rd Jetta diesel over the years) replaced the camshaft, flywheel, wheel bearing, two broken off glow plugs, and deleted the egr that was leaking. I advanced the timing to 1.5. When I ran it on W85 which is waste motor oil with 15% e85 (use ethanol to soak up any moisture in oil and it smokes way less than RUG regular unleaded gasoline) the mix was too think for my clogged fuel filter, so i run 25% D1 and 75% W85. To my utter amazement, the car still starts even down to -15 farhenheit even on that mix! I have a fuel filter heater on it and will be putting an HHO kit on it to clean up the exhaust smell.

Anyone else doing this? What have you found that works?

2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Of course it'll work but I don't know the long term effects on the fuel injectors. Your engine is far more sensitive to fuel quality than something that can run off crude oil.

3. Jim W

Jim W Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta-none, 2008 RAM Mega Cab lost the BlueTe
    Burning #2 diesel in both of my vehicles. Why would I want to save 50 cents to just throw away a $3000 to $7000 fuel system depending on vehicles by burning WMO in the fuel system?

Jim W.

4. hogan1965

hogan1965 New Member

Car:
    2003 & 2012 Golf TDI
    thats just not right.......I don't care what you do to the ford but don't punish a vw like that!

5. Fourex

Fourex New Member

Car:
    Isuzu
    A guy I know through the net tried running his isuzu mechanically injected engine on w.m.o., I;m not sure how fine he filtered it before pouring it into his vehicles tank, but it was unsuccessful with coking in the ring pack and 4 shot injectors.

6. polaris18t

polaris18t New Member

Car:
    The mechanical injected engines evidently need load and egts to blow out the coke build up on injector tips. With my powerstrokes, I just put the happy pedal to the floor and it clears it out but this PD TDI is a bit more finicky. I have run into an over boost problem and not because my VVT actuator isn't working properly but because under light load some of the WMO doesn't burn completely and coats the turbo and exhaust so when I get my egts up the turbo really spins and i over boost with the vanes fully open. So I keep on reducing the amount of WMO in my diesel. Running a 50%WMO to 50% D#1 i only get mid 30's in mpg, but running 25% WMO and 75% D#2 I get high 40mpgs. I run 1,000miles a week. I'll keep you all posted on when I grenade it;) either from WMO, HHO or methanol and H2O injection.

Gaou likes this.
  7. Stubbdnutz

Stubbdnutz New Member

Car:
    Vw jetta 2003
    I've actually run a 70/30 mix of WMO/diesel just filtered it down to less than a micron with my system, it's referred to as black diesel and has been run for decades but if not properly cleaned can cause major issues from my understanding. I was also told in colder climates kerosene is a great alternative to diesel due to lack of gelling