window making clicking noises, wobbles

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by tokendog, Jul 29, 2007.

1. tokendog

tokendog New Member

any idea how to fix this

the front window is wobbly in it's track
    login to remove this ad
  2. miker

miker New Member

Remove the interior door panels, tighten the window tracks. There should be one or two bolts that hold the window tracks in place. The only other place it would be loose is in the window regulator bolts. Either way, you have to remove the interior door panel, good luck!
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    here you go, i circled the bolts in red that affect the window regulator and track

there is a front and a rear track and 3 bolts that hold the window motor. adjust as necessary, they could be loose as well.

check the FAQ 1000 answered questions at the top of the forum, most of the info is organized on there.

Attached Files:

4. tokendog

tokendog New Member

thanks for the tips!
  5. tokendog

tokendog New Member

I finally got around to it, the bolts that you circled had somehow worked loose. Maybe the constant wear on my 10 year old car had wiggled the bolt off. Here's another tip - you can bend the track a little to tighten the track a little more. Of course you don't want to tighten it too much tho.
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    a little late, but found some more pictures that other people will find helpful. The window regulator removed

Attached Files:

7. FYI, the window regulator that you can buy does not come with the motor. It's the gears and metal only. The more common problem is that the teeth of the gears gets stripped and no more worky.
  8. tokendog

tokendog New Member

I was thinking, there was a tiny amount of grease around it, I probably should have greased it huh? What kind of grease should I use?
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    You can use any grease you want. Molyben would work, white lithium spray in a can, I don't suggest wd-40 since that is more of a lube, I don't know how it would react with the plastic clips, rubber, or window tints either.

PS, I forgot to circle that extra bolt. The rear piece is 2 bolts, not 1. If you look at the attachment of the regulator removed, you can clearly see the 2 bolts, but you probably figured that out by now :)