Will you accept VW's buyback offer? Straw poll

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by chittychittybangbang, Apr 22, 2016.

?

Will you accept VW's buyback offer?

1. Yes

39 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Depends on the dollar amount they offer or how much mpg and performance suffers after being fixed.

32 vote(s)
    39.5%
  1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Does it depend on how much money they offer for it? Please keep in mind that because most of you have well-used cars, it's not reasonable to expect the MSRP. It could be for $5000, it could be $10,000, we don't know. But it's reasonable to expect it to be a combination of how much you paid, mileage, and age.

What about compensation and you reject the buy back? You'd keep the car and get money but have to have it modified to meet emissions?

At what mpg level would you accept the buyback or keep the car?

login to remove this ad
  2. sabbotage

sabbotage New Member

Car:
    2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Sedan
    I'm curious to know if you reject the buyback, if will you be forced to get the "fix" done. From what I've read that could be replacing the whole engine.

Edit: Also, my car is tuned with a stage 2 Malone Tune and has a rawtek exhaust and downpipe so obviously that would have to be converted back to stock for the fix. I'm hoping they won't care and will take the car back that way.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. Chris Nemcheck

Chris Nemcheck New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat SE TDI
    I would prefer to keep mine without a fix. To do the buy back it depends on how much power and mpg I am going to lose to get it fixed. If they wont at a min payoff what I owe on my car it would be stupid to take the buy back.

Jettadodge likes this.
  4. peter19ue

peter19ue Member

Car:
    2010 VW Jetta TDI
    Damn, that is a lot of driving. What do you do for a living

5. peter19ue

peter19ue Member

Car:
    2010 VW Jetta TDI
  6. 2011GolfTDI

2011GolfTDI Member

Car:
    2011 Golf TDI DSG
    With 80K miles, Edmunds values my car at $11K for a private party sale. If VW offered me that, I'd be done with my TDI in a heart beat.

7. ar6

ar6 New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    It depends. My '10 Jetta TDI is a great commuter car and even better road trip car. I'm spending half as much on fuel as before. The plan was to sell it in a couple years when I retire. I was hoping for a TDI camper van by then, but that is not likely. Now I'm not sure what to do. The way things are moving forward, I won't have to decide for quite some time.

eggen573 likes this.
  8. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    My car has $150,000 miles on it, and a cracked DPF... If the offer they make pays off what I owe; and (I would assume) includes steep incentives to get back into a new VW; then I'll be all over it.

What I WILL NOT do is accept a modified, retuned car that is slower and gets worse fuel economy; that is completely unacceptable to me as those are the two main reasons I bought the car in the first place.

mworkman likes this.
  9. StayPuff

StayPuff Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI DSG
    You might be okay on that. Supposedly, owners will have a two-year period to decide. Might be perfect for you :)

As for me, I'm in the same boat as DubFamily. My exhaust system is failing as well, and it all comes down to the so-called "repair". Though I just found out on another thread that VW has stated it can't bring the older cars like mine into compliance. So, if that's true, it comes down to either a minor modification that doesn't bring the car into compliance but is accepted by the feds, or a buyback. I will keep the car if the "repair" isn't drastic. Unless of course they offer me a really large amount of money, which I doubt, then I may sell it.

This much I do know: 2 months is going to seem like an eternity :annoyed

10. eclipsedlife

eclipsedlife New Member

Car:
    2009 TDI Sportswagon
    Mods:
    Stock
    Its been known for awhile that the speed and power of the cars won't be affected that much. Put gas mileage will suffer about 10%. I'm sure like the rest of you I don't know would i would get instead. I have a 2 year old, one on the way and a 95 lb dog. What other car even gets close after "fixed" mileage. This is merica' we don't get cruze wagons or others awesome cars. From all the articles I've read, it seems the older your car is the worse the fix will be. A lot of reputable automotive outlets have tested the cars in cheat mode and it just seems the older ones are worse off. In the past weekend my brother and mother in-law have been offered a buy back from VW. The funny part is, the VW dealers had no idea how to actually make this happen.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...el-fuel-economy-and-performance-in-cheat-mode

11. gal_with_new_beetle

gal_with_new_beetle New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle 2015
    My 2015 Bettle is only eight months old. It has only just reached the of the 10K break-in period on its engine. My preference would be to keep my car because I most certainly don't want to have to go through another break-in period on another new engine anytime soon.

12. mworkman

mworkman New Member

Car:
    2012 Volkswagon Jetta TDI - 07 Silverado 2500HD Classic Duramax
    My concern is that right now my car is valued at $13,693.00, this being an 12 Jetta TDI SEL. Since the lawsuit, value had dropped drastic for trade-in or just plain out selling as owner. We took a big hit in this area! So VW will be getting off cheap if they get to purchase it at the current rate offered. The consumer gets screwed big time again. Also if the fix or buy back is the only option...we lose no matter what. States that have inspections will require you to get the fix or you won't get plate renewal.

13. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 New Member

Car:
    '12 Jetta, '08 Duramax
    We have a 2012 TDI Jetta with 68k miles on it, we are the original owners. These TDI's were supposed to be good for 300+k miles. Now they I are telling us we have to give them up for $10k (or less) without a fight?

14. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    Of course nothing is certain, but it seems that buy back price will be based on something like KBB value of September 2015. There might be some premium on top of that.

15. nwtim

nwtim New Member

Car:
    2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen DSG TDI w Sunroof & Nav
    For numerous reasons, I believe the buyback will be MSRP less a 'penalty' for age and miles plus a gap bonus. Due to the hardship replacing the vehicle will cause many, the lawyers aren't likely to settle for less and it's the simplest calculation based on information VW already has.

16. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    you build the one you want from older tdi... lots have... just do not expect to skimp on cost.. start off rust free.. plan for no auto trans, and people use both vanagons and euro vans... i use a kubvan... but its just me camping.. but all aluminum = never rust... flat glass = can be cut anywhere vs when crved glass supplies run out

17. bcgreen

bcgreen Member

Car:
    2010 Audi A3 TDI
    Mods:
    That's how I understand it too, otherwise we would be taking a big hit. Mine, 2010, has 85K but still looks outstanding and you can barely tell how old it is. It looks better now than when I bought it as a demo from Penske.

18. SIF1950

SIF1950 Member

Car:
    Jetta Sportwagen 2014
    I read the transcript of the latest status conference from two days ago. Confidentiality still in place. But the settlement will be announced on June 21. Then there will be time for notice and comments to and from owners. There will be option of a repair or sell the vehicle back. In either case there will be additional "substantial compensation."

Knowing something about the law of remedies, I'm sure that many "lay" owners will be pissed. Nature of the beast that no damage award or other remedy will make one whole.

19. mgoff5000

mgoff5000 Member

Car:
    2000 Jetta 5-spd, 2004 Passat Wagon
    Mods:
    Jetta is on H&R Sport/Koni Yellows, Skid plates on Jetta/Passat, BSD and cam replaced on Passat
    I've been thinking that if the fix doesn't affect intangibles like performance, then the impact is easy to quantify. It's just an estimate of additional fuel cost over remaining expected life of car. I would have to accept that as fair. I'm going EV eventually ( the horror!!!) so if buyback on our 2014 with 10k is somehow generous I'll take it. Doubt it. I don't even think that generation will have an offer.

20. JazzBeBop

JazzBeBop Member

Car:
    2015 Passat TDI SE Fortana red on beige
    Well, I don't know if this article has been placed here or not, but here's an excerpt:

"The automaker is on track to meet a June 21 settlement deadline, a federal judge stated yesterday, but details on the wildly expensive U.S. buyback and compensation program won’t be made public just yet.

Volkswagen has until that date to submit a written proposal to U.S. authorities and regulators. Preliminary approval of the plan, rumored to cost more than $10 billion, could come at a July 26 hearing."
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...rs-start-planning-goodbye-party-dirty-diesel/