who do ya trust? 2005.5 TDI with the DSG tranny vs 2006, vs manual

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by brylyiant, Jun 25, 2012.

1. brylyiant

brylyiant New Member

Car:
    2005.5 tdi
    Hello! I am shopping for a 2005.5 or 2006 TDI. The reason for this purchase is that 3 days a week I put over 80 miles each way driving from where I live in the mountains of Colorado to Denver for dialysis. I really need the extra mugs compared to my 2004 dodge cummins! I have my eye on 3 local cars...One is a 2005.5 TDI with the DSG tranny. It has slightly over 70,000 miles. It has had no work done, including timing belt, except a replaced starter. Supposedly, it has had regular maintenance. It is listed for $15.900 (seems high to me?), but the owner told me she may take $14,000- $14,500. The other is a 2006 with the same tranny, but 75,000 miles. This car has had the timing belt/water pump and all rollers replaced. The asking price on the 2006 is $13,500 though I feel it could be had for $12,500. Finally I am also considering a manual tranny 2005.5 with 135,000 miles that has all service records, a new turbo, a new clutch, and the timing belt/water pump maintenance done. This car is priced at $11,000. I have read the general info/buying guide and by the way thanks for putting that together...very excellent. I am having trouble deciding! I lean towards the manual with all the new parts, but it has nearly twice the mileage! Do these amounts seem fair? I guess that I am just looking for any advice or suggestions before I go look at each of these cars.

Thanks, Bryant
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Mileage isn't a huge issue, camshaft wear and flywheel failure are biggest issues. pay now for higher miles car or pay later for lower miles car.

Also manual will get better mpg, worth considering.

PS, try to make titles as descriptive as possible :) title edited.
  3. moneypit

moneypit New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta
    I wouldn't let the mileage scare you much, these engines (when cared for) will go until YOU quit.

Assuming the one with all the maintenance done is in otherwise excellent condition, it should be good to go for the next 65k miles, whereas the one with 70k will definitely need maintenace within the next 30k.

If it were me, the manual trans/135k car would be my 1st choice... but that's just my $.02
  4. cparagone

cparagone New Member

Car:
    2005.5 jetta tdi
    I'd go with the manual, but check the cam wear could be a good negotiating point if there is, use the forum to look up these issues so you know what you're looking for.
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    What he said above, stick is the way. Cams checked by someone that knows what they are doing, and the usual suspects as well, the wiring in the doors etc...
  6. huvw42

huvw42 Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 1.9 TDI 4Motion
    What caused this vehicle to need a new turbo and clutch with only 135K on it?
  7. Redt595

Redt595 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI Wgn
    Mods:
    KOsei wheels, kn filters, Pirelli P Zero Nero and
    Good Questions... Selling TDI in Texas

You have very good and legitimate questions. I can tell you that these cars have also cv boot and axle troubles, the VW parts are worthless and VW offers no support. Thank goodness for this wonderful forum and the wonderful folks at Raxles in Florida. So please besides the expensive maintenace for the 90000 miles timing belt et al, you also have to consider the axles issue and other small things. I have a 2005 TDI with the triptronic auto tranny and have maintained it with white gloves and it still has had issues, have all the repair receipts. Although it is in excellent shape and has only 77000 miles and I am trying to sell it. Avoid all the VW issues and if you're going to spend 11-16k on a used Tdi, maybe you could look into a Hybrid from Honda. Ok, won't run on diesel but, a Honda is still a Honda.
    I realize this may hurt my chances in selling my vehicle to you but, I'd rather you buy a dependable and low maintainance car like a Honda then mess around with these types of high cost vehicles.
    My family not only owns this Passat but in Europe we have two more tdis and they all have issues and are very expensive for repairs.
    Good luck and I hope you find the car that best meets your needs.

A great thank you to this wonderful forum that has supported me in my Odyssey with my Passat TDi.
    Thank you Thank you Thank you
  8. dezel

dezel Member

Car:
    02 jetta tdi leather gls
    Mods:
    Kerma chip & Bosio 520 nozzles
    Diesel's in general are more to maintain, compare the new powerstroke to the old 7.3's. It's not just a VW problem. I guess thats way I keep my 22 yr old ford 300. If I had the knowledge of: Chitty, Keith,Yuri & seatman I'd buy any model year. Many people buy these cars without the info in the FAQ section then they want to blame the car. It is what it is. If you can work on it or have a competent shop that can do the work that means a lot. It's a tough call because their are so many gas vehicle's that get 35 mpg +. I would go with a manual more mpg hopefully less maintenance.